Super sleepy Hermann

roxy-lou

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bedfordshire
Hi I need help with my Hermann tortoise
She is just 2 years old and lately she is just wanting to sleep. Nothing in her care has changed.
She is refusing to sit under a basking light or UVB Light - she always hated UV lights but used to bask for hours but lately will run from it.
Food - doesnt eat too many weeds so gets to eat corguettes, green beans and butternut squash - shes always eaten this way. She gets these once every 2-3 days.
She does have access to walk around outside her enclosure which she loves.
I have tried warming her up but its as though she gets panicky and will spend the whole time trying to climb out so I feel its too hot (I have tried different heights) - and if I let her out she goes into a quiet cold corner near a sofa and on a wooden floor - and sleeps.
I am waking her for food and baths and she does eat. Shes also falling asleep in her bath.
I have taken her to the vets and they checked for worms and shes completely fine there. They suggested a course of antibiotics and we have had 2/4 injections but no real change.
I was thinking maybe shes trying to hibernate although it seems far too early.
Can anyone share their views and experiences please as I really want to help her but I don't know how. Thanks x

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The antibiotics will affect appetites. Plus she is on the floor she is cold, those two combined no wonder she won't eat. Safe secure enclosure and warm temps, essential to a happy tortoise.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Probably get a new vet, shouldn't give antibiotics without a problem.

roxy-lou

5 Year Member
Bedfordshire
The antibiotics will affect appetites. Plus she is on the floor she is cold, those two combined no wonder she won't eat. Safe secure enclosure and warm temps, essential to a happy tortoise.
Hi the problem is that she wont sit under the basking light or UV lamp, I have tried different heights but she gets really anxious and tries the whole time to escape. i tried various heights and the watts are what she's had before. Never sits under UV but does bask when well. But lately wont do that either. I stopped with the antibiotics now. Thanks for your help, any other ideas welcome.