Superworm care

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I was curious on how others keep their superworms. I keep a colony of various stages going for my boxies but have some problems. I keep them in a plastic bin with oatmeal with some type of veggies for moisture. But the bins collect condensation - even though I have holes in the lid. When I open it up - it stinks bad! If someone on here also raises superworms, can you please give me some advice on how to maintain them? Thanks!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
kimber_lee_314 said:
I was curious on how others keep their superworms. I keep a colony of various stages going for my boxies but have some problems. I keep them in a plastic bin with oatmeal with some type of veggies for moisture. But the bins collect condensation - even though I have holes in the lid. When I open it up - it stinks bad! If someone on here also raises superworms, can you please give me some advice on how to maintain them? Thanks!

You need more ventilation in the lid, or not to use a lid at all. They can't climb plastic, so if you're using a plastic container you don't need a lid. The smell has a lot to do with the moisture, so once you get rid of the lid, the condensation will stop, and 90% of the smell will go away. Superworms tend to have a little smell, although nothing like crickets. You want to keep them on dry oatmeal, and use potato as moisture. Just slice it in 1/2" thick pieces, and keep one or two laid down on the substrate. They'll eat from the underside if you have at least a 1" layer of oatmeal. Swap the potato every few days.

Forgot to mention, I used to use 1-2" of peat moss as a substrate. They can burrow well into it, better than using oatmeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.