Super worms

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Anyone using Superworms to feed your Boxies ?
I got some and dropped a few in front of my male and he gobbled them up on no time.

I feed my box turtles in their enclosure - just allow them to come out in the early morning and find it.

Not sure how to get the Superworms to them since these little grim like things crawl immediately away and go hide.
:)

Any ideas ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sprinkle the habitat. Mine usually come out when it "rains." Also, after you've been feeding the turtles for a while they'll get to understand that you are the food god, and when they hear you coming, they'll come out to see what you have for them.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Thanks @yvonne.
I got a bunch of them from an insect farm close to me , so they are cheap.

My box turtles do not like to be picked up. I noticed if I try and move them to the food dish they just scoot away like a monster is after them. So I out out the food and walk away.

This evening when they get active I'll try that. I don't know how long a Superworms would live in this climate , but I suspect if they come across one its a goner :)

I'm going to see if I can raise them , so I always have a Hangul to throw in there. They seem to be pretty easy to propagate.

Clean and not stinky. Hahaha.
And they can't climb out of a slippery side container.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442943358.030533.jpg

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I remember reading a while back about someone who left mealworms in their habitat with babies and the mealworms turned into beetles and ate the babies : O. I assume this hasn't been a problem Yvonne? It would seem far more unlikely that several mealworm beetles could gang up and eat a full grown adult.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I remember reading a while back about someone who left mealworms in their habitat with babies and the mealworms turned into beetles and ate the babies : O. I assume this hasn't been a problem Yvonne? It would seem far more unlikely that several mealworm beetles could gang up and eat a full grown adult.
Superworms are not really mealworms exactly. Their life cycle to turn into beetles requires a specific environment. You kinda have to work at it to get them to pupate.

The grubs carnivorous however , and could eat a baby turtle if there were enough of them. It would take allot.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I feed my boxies superworms. But only adult box turtles, not babies. I usually feed supers out of the enclosure though. Nightcrawlers I feed in the enclosure but not superworms.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
a nice drizzle indeed should bring them out

Alaskamike

South Florida
I feed my boxies superworms. But only adult box turtles, not babies. I usually feed supers out of the enclosure though. Nightcrawlers I feed in the enclosure but not superworms.
Lisa, Why do you keep them out of enclosure? Is this outside ?
I don't have any babies , but could someday I suppose. Certainly do not want to risk problems.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Lisa, Why do you keep them out of enclosure? Is this outside ?
I don't have any babies , but could someday I suppose. Certainly do not want to risk problems.
No, most of the year my boxies are inside as I live in the Cleveland area and do not hibernate them. Superworms cannot be left loose in the enclosure inside because they like to nibble on other animals. They bite. So I feed them outside the enclosure so the boxie sees them and eats them right away.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
No, most of the year my boxies are inside as I live in the Cleveland area and do not hibernate them. Superworms cannot be left loose in the enclosure inside because they like to nibble on other animals. They bite. So I feed them outside the enclosure so the boxie sees them and eats them right away.

If you want to feed them in the Indoor Enclosure just chop the head off the superworm:) It will still wiggle for awhile so your Box Turtle wont know the difference. I do it for my juvie.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you want to feed them in the Indoor Enclosure just chop the head off the superworm:) It will still wiggle for awhile so your Box Turtle wont know the difference. I do it for my juvie.

I just smooth the head between thumb and forefinger. This way they can't chew on my animals no matter what happens.

Good tip!

Mike, I've always hand fed the supers. I like to know that they are eaten and never want to wonder if they've wandered off.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, be careful with super worms they do bite. I had one but my dearded a long time ago. Didn't do damage, but you could tell it was a good bite. Kinda hung on for a second. There is always caution given when feed superworms that they will bite and nibble on the animal that suppose to eat them.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Another thing; really check the poop after feeding your boxies the superworms (and mealworms everyone else). I stopped feeding my guys supers and mealies because after a couple hours my one boxie pooped and there were intact supers in the poop. It appeared to be dead, but it wasn't digested at all. I mean, at least with my toad only the outer shell/exoskeleton (?) is pooped out but it's also pooped out in pieces, and again pretty much right after eating the super.

Anyone have any idea why this is?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Another thing; really check the poop after feeding your boxies the superworms (and mealworms everyone else). I stopped feeding my guys supers and mealies because after a couple hours my one boxie pooped and there were intact supers in the poop. It appeared to be dead, but it wasn't digested at all. I mean, at least with my toad only the outer shell/exoskeleton (?) is pooped out but it's also pooped out in pieces, and again pretty much right after eating the super.

Anyone have any idea why this is?

They are very high in chitin and have a relatively low meat to shell ratio. Any species of meal worm is really not all that great of a food source. I only rarely feed them out when someone gives me free ones. I primarily use roaches as food for any insectivore. Very easy to keep and maintain, and an excellent food source. Low chitin and high meat to shell ratio. Good ca : ph ratio too. They are also completely harmless to the predating animal either alive or dead.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
They are very high in chitin and have a relatively low meat to shell ratio. Any species of meal worm is really not all that great of a food source. I only rarely feed them out when someone gives me free ones. I primarily use roaches as food for any insectivore. Very easy to keep and maintain, and an excellent food source. Low chitin and high meat to shell ratio. Good ca : ph ratio too. They are also completely harmless to the predating animal either alive or dead.
Yeah I only fed them as a treat once in a while as it was, but after seeing whole ones in the poop of my boxies and immediate pooping of the shells in my toad, I stopped feeding them all together.

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
Superworms and mealworms are high in fat. Box turtles should eat mainly lowfat diets, so caterpillars such as hornworms, and earthworms are preferable. You can buy both online. Of course, catching a grasshopper or June bug is also good for them. I steer clear of superworms and mealworms because box turtles can get addicted to them and not eat the healthier foods.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Thanks all
Good info. I guess finding a good a source for earthworms will be on the agenda.
Florida has very few naturally , and night crawlers are $3.50 / 18.

They will eat and pick at other foods but seem to really go after anything moving.

I do feed them tilapia. Raw chunks , they like that. And my Florida Boxies eat a bit of mazuri , squash , boiled egg , strawberry & greens. But the Easterns seem picky.

Haven't tried crickets yet. I'll give that a go.

Being omnivores they are a bit harder to feed than my herbivores.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I don't know what part of florida you're in, but at my grandparents in West Palm Beach they have garden snails coming out the wazoo. My three-toed loves those garden snails and even bypasses earthworms if he spots one.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I don't know what part of florida you're in, but at my grandparents in West Palm Beach they have garden snails coming out the wazoo. My three-toed loves those garden snails and even bypasses earthworms if he spots one.

Snails are great......however they do carry parasites! I am personally not a fan of snails for this reason unless you are culturing your own snails.