surge protector with 50ft cord?

leoturt

Location (City and/or State)
Western Canada
Does anyone know where to buy online a surge protector with 50ft cord, and like 8 minimum outlets (for a few cameras, too) for my torts summer home which will be like towards the rear of the backyard (can't place it close to house). The longest surge protector I could find has a 25 ft cord which wont be enough, and I need like at least 40 ft, though I think they only come in 25 ft, 50ft, etc. and not in between those lengths. I don't want to use an extension cord with an existing surge protector due to fire risk, even if it's minimal risk.

Last edited:

leoturt

Western Canada
I get the feeling that there's no such thing as a 50ft corded length surge protector.
So, if someone knows for sure a safe, tried and tested surge protector with extension cord combination, let me know the exact name of those products you've used. This would be the only option for me if there's no 50 ft corded surge protector. I will only be using like 300 watts max at any given time.

perhaps this would be a good outdoor low gauge extension cord?

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can buy 10 gauge if you want, but 14 gauge is more than sufficient, and 12 gauge is an abundance of caution.

I think you've figured out that you'll need to run a separate surge protector at one end or the other of the cord.

leoturt

Western Canada
You can buy 10 gauge if you want, but 14 gauge is more than sufficient, and 12 gauge is an abundance of caution.

I think you've figured out that you'll need to run a separate surge protector at one end or the other of the cord.
Yup, I can't find a surge protector that's longer than 25'.
Here's my plan for my setup, a heavy duty extension cord and a heavy duty surge protector. Its very overkill, waay too much for the 150-200 watts that will be used throughout the day. But I don't mind spending a little extra to decrease risk of a fire or something:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07BQB7JSN/?tag=

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/ISOBAR8ULT/?tag=

I'm just wondering if you or anyone else knows if these 2 products are safe and compatible with each other. I heard that the gauge must be the same for both of them or else they could catch fire or some damage could occur. The extension cable is 12 gauge, but I'm unsure of the surge protector's gauge, I think it's also 12?
Here is some more info I've found about the surge protector:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yup, I can't find a surge protector that's longer than 25'.
Here's my plan for my setup, a heavy duty extension cord and a heavy duty surge protector. Its very overkill, waay too much for the 150-200 watts that will be used throughout the day. But I don't mind spending a little extra to decrease risk of a fire or something:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07BQB7JSN/?tag=

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/ISOBAR8ULT/?tag=

I'm just wondering if you or anyone else knows if these 2 products are safe and compatible with each other. I heard that the gauge must be the same for both of them or else they could catch fire or some damage could occur. The extension cable is 12 gauge, but I'm unsure of the surge protector's gauge, I think it's also 12?
Here is some more info I've found about the surge protector:
In the specs it says the input cord gauge is 14. I'm sure they must exist somewhere, but I've never seen this sort of device with anything larger than a 14 gauge cord. It also says it has a 12 amp breaker, but most power circuits in most houses are 15 amp. I don't know how all that will work together.

I'm no electrical expert, but I've never gone to the lengths you are going. I'm certain that your Canadian panels and sub panels have the same sort of circuit breakers and built in safeties that our American panels have, don't they? I've never used a circuit breaker in any of my outdoor boxes. I've been running a dozen or more at a time for decades now, and never had a problem. My BIL is an electrician and I have him oversee all my stuff to make sure it is safe, and he helps install new outlets and more advanced stuff when I need it. He frequently chuckles at my "unconventional" solutions to some of these issues, but advises me on how to not burn the place down or kill a tortoise with my ignorance.

All the plugs going to my tortoise boxes have GFI circuits on them. I just plug the extension cords into them and put the other end inside my boxes. No additional surge protection needed. I used to always buy 12 gauge, and that is fine, but he showed me how to calculate what gauge is needed, and 16 would be fine for what we are doing. I usually go 12 or 14 gauge because it helps me sleep better at night. Like you, I think being overly cautious is better than not being cautious enough.

Here is more info on how I do it:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Is there a reason you can't make it permanent or 'permanentish'? Even if you can't excavate, pvc run along the ground is better than cords, imo. Weather can age cords quickly, esp if you have extremes.

If you want a surge protector, I'd rely on a surge protector at the electrical panel more than the plug in surge protectors. Bonus, it would protect the whole house.

As far as fire, arcing is the biggest risk. Use an arc fault breaker or outlet (or gfci/afci breaker or outlet). If you do use a cord, use a locking cord or one of the covers that hold the cords together/protects the connection.