Heat lamp Deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
So I have been having a hard time making my heat lamps last over the winter months, normally a month to two months long. I keep them on for around 6-maybe10 hours a night(time varies with when I go to sleep an wake up,the lights are not on a timer)

The lamps are all plugged into a surge protector(a bit of an old one though)

If I am correct they are of the zoomed brand as well, just had a day lamp die on me, but the brand is not the same as my other day bulb, who has lasted for a year and still going, so i feel like the quality here of the company and what they produce does play a huge role.

The day lamp that died was also a zoomed one, where's the day lamp that has lasted if I am correct was called solar glow or sun glow something like that.

The surge protector is there because Alabama power fluctuates early in the morn(2am to 5am)

Suggestions of what you use and how long do they last would be very helpful, and possibly a bit of discussion of who has a better quality of produce for torts and other reptiles.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I use regular house bulbs for heat lamps. 65 watt, 75 watt and in the past even a 100 watt. I only had them "die" because I'd drop them. Oops :p
But even if they do go out on their own they are super cheap. I recently bought a 16 pack of 75 watt incandescent bulbs for $2 at a Kmart.

Sent from my TFOapp

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your geographical area must play a part in your lights' death. I use one bulb several seasons. They come on at 7a, go off at 7p, day in and day out, and I re-use the same bulbs over and again. Most of mine are the Zoo Med 100 watt MVB

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I keep boxies and use black incandescent lights for heat. I get them at Lowe's so they are reasonably priced and I always keep a few extra on hand. I'm not sure how long they last as I haven't paid that close of attention.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
For night time you may want to use a CHE. I've had mine for over 2 years and use it winter nights; never had a problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The MVB bulbs often burn out early if you don't use the right kind of hood for them. You need a large aluminum hood with a ceramic base and vents at the top aluminum dome. I get mine at home depot for about $11. The HD ones have a heavy duty cord too. I have MVBs that have been in use for 4 years now. I only use them for heat, so I don't care if they are making any UV anymore or not.

I agree with WillTort on the CHE for night time. I have one that has been in continuos use every night since 1991. Still works great. For best results put the CHE on a thermostat and it will maintain your ambient right where you want it over night.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
The lamps the bulbs are in are correct for housing high heat emitting bulbs.
And what exactly is a CHE? I am really bad with acronyms.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Heat lamp Deaths

CourtneyG said:
The lamps the bulbs are in are correct for housing high heat emitting bulbs.
And what exactly is a CHE? I am really bad with acronyms.

How big is the dome? Is it smaller than 10"?

CHE is ceramic heat emitter.

Sent from my TFOapp

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I lied to you guys, the bulbs that are dying on me are if the Flukers brand. The one that has lasted on me is a Exoterra bulb.

One dome is like maybe hitting the 15 to 20inch and the other is a little over a12inch diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.