Suriname Cherry tree/bush?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Suriname Cherry is everywhere here in South Florida. As a kid, I used to eat the fruit. However, about 7 out of 10 have worms in them......
Question is are they safe for my Redfoot? They have a large pit. Are the leaves also O.K.?
There is a gigantic one not far away and I'd like to start utilizing it by rotating into my "free" food menu.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Same here...we used to eat them as kids around Lake Worth. But if you pick them before they are over ripe they won't have the fruit fly larvae in them.
My red-foots loved them when I had a bush at one of my homes years ago. The big pits were no issue for the adult tortoises.
Pretty sure the Latin name of Suriname cherry is Eugenia uniflora...but this is just off the top of my head.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I don't think I've ever seen one! Definitely not in Texas! And I don't recall seeing those in Florida either. Do they grow on people's farms?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Glossy small green leaves. Usually a bush, but they get tree sized in a lazy persons yard.
The berries are pumpkin shaped. maybe 1.5" or less. Green, yellow, red and then they turn deep red. Almost purple.
I cant download a photo.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
surinam_cherry_3.jpg

images

I had never heard of this tree before. Interesting-looking fruit.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
My adults likewise had no problem with the pits. They were not big fans of these. The Barbados Cherries they loved.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
fruit and protein together? Sounds like a dream come true. I may inquire as to getting some pits to see if I can grow it