Survey: where does your Russian/Horsefield sleep at night

Where does yours sleep overnight, origin source, enclosure type (please answer once for each group):

• Usually buried, but not in a hide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anywhere and everywhere, no safety pattern

• —-

• —-

• Free roams indoors

• Total voters

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
When I had sand in his enclousure (not anymore) he had this one burrow in the corner of his hide that he would re-use. It was about 45 degree angle with his head down the slope towards the enclosure wall. Sometimes he would dig a bit before going to sleep. But now that he has 100% coco coir he digs a new one in his hide every night.

One thing that is consistent, is that he always digs down against the wall of his hide which results in him scratching the wall.

Sometimes he falls asleep out in the open against a wall.This happens maybe once a month.

Now in the summer I have him in an outdoor enclosure during the day and bring him in at night. Outdoors he sometimes makes a night burrow under the bush as early as 5 or 6, while indoors he goes to sleep at 7. Outdoors his burrows are a bit deeper and more like he has just shimmered down to the soil. Both indoors and out he always has some of his shell visible.

Here is him in one of his outdoor burrows:

Attachments

• 20240722_162035 (1).jpg
    20240722_162035 (1).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If they are living in an outdoor enclosure, they need to be put in their hide every single night, and locked in there until morning.

This should not be a choice they are allowed to make. Things happen when they are left outside to their own devices. Ants, rats, raccoons, flooding, escapes, disappearances, etc...

Keep them safe. Lock them in at night. Every night.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
If they are living in an outdoor enclosure, they need to be put in their hide every single night, and locked in there until morning.

This should not be a choice they are allowed to make. Things happen when they are left outside to their own devices. Ants, rats, raccoons, flooding, escapes, disappearances, etc...

My nighttime area that is predator secure is 8‘ x 10‘. If he wanted to, he could sleep “out in the open” within that area and not in a hide within it, he still chooses the hide anyway.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland

As I have said previously, I dig him up and take him to his indoor enclosure to sleep.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Also I'm curious what people do, vs what they "should" do. I'm curious if CB are less likely to feel a need to sleep in their hide.

I can count maybe a handful of time, even when inside, Fezzik hasn't slept tucked in a hide

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also I'm curious what people do, vs what they "should" do. I'm curious if CB are less likely to feel a need to sleep in their hide.

I can count maybe a handful of time, even when inside, Fezzik hasn't slept tucked in a hide
I can give you a sample size of around 30, 24 or so were CB. Most of them put themselves away most of the time. I would occasionally find one or two buried somewhere in the enclosure, or parked somewhere other than in at the night box for the night.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I can give you a sample size of around 30, 24 or so were CB. Most of them put themselves away most of the time. I would occasionally find one or two buried somewhere in the enclosure, or parked somewhere other than in at the night box for the night.
Yeah I wonder if its nature vs nurture though. Would CB ones raised as babies be less likely to go into a hide every single night...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah I wonder if its nature vs nurture though. Would CB ones raised as babies be less likely to go into a hide every single night...
That didn't matter in any of the ones I have cared for. Wasn't a factor at all.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
When I had sand in his enclousure (not anymore) he had this one burrow in the corner of his hide that he would re-use. It was about 45 degree angle with his head down the slope towards the enclosure wall. Sometimes he would dig a bit before going to sleep. But now that he has 100% coco coir he digs a new one in his hide every night.

One thing that is consistent, is that he always digs down against the wall of his hide which results in him scratching the wall.

Sometimes he falls asleep out in the open against a wall.This happens maybe once a month.

Now in the summer I have him in an outdoor enclosure during the day and bring him in at night. Outdoors he sometimes makes a night burrow under the bush as early as 5 or 6, while indoors he goes to sleep at 7. Outdoors his burrows are a bit deeper and more like he has just shimmered down to the soil. Both indoors and out he always has some of his shell visible.

Here is him in one of his outdoor burrows:
mines WC btw, intersting to know if there is any connection