Swallowing oddly...

kibog

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
hi all. I just took my desert tortoise, Larry, to the vet because part of his outer jaw was coming off. The vet said there was healthy keratin underneath it but it looked like an infection had started. With some antibiotics and time he should be good to go. She took blood to check his liver, I have yet to hear back. I told her I noticed also a few days prior he was swallowing oddly, I thought maybe he was in pain. She said tortoises don't have distal nerve endings so therefore no distal pain. Well I have tortoise liquid pain meds and did a trial on Larry because he was still swallowing oddly when eating and it sure looked like pain to me. I waited all morning and afternoon to let the pain meds work and then let him eat. Same odd swallowing! So I don't think it's pain after all. Maybe something caught in his throat? I looked in his mouth and saw nothing. So, he has no troubles biting grass and chewing, but when tries to swallow he kind of jerks his head like a mini seizure and ALWAYS pulls his head in and to the LEFT to aid him in swallowing. I put him in water and he drank with his nose under water no problems or jerking, but still same problems when he swallows food. I am worried because I know Larry did not eat much today. We are only on day two of our antibiotic. I am just so worried and I know something is wrong, but I don't know what.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sorry, but I don't have experience in this problem. Your best bet is keeping a good rapport going with your vet. There are some very good tortoise vets in Arizona and it sounds like your knows a bit about tortoises. Next time you go in, take some food with you in the hopes that the tortoise might eat in the vet's presence.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
I don't know where you are located in Az, but Dr Jarkow in Tucson is one of the best known reptile vets in the area. He specializes in tortoises an is the vet at Desert Museum and Ried Park Zoo. I would contact him if you feel the need for a second opinion.