Nails, beak and noise

ArchieTheTort

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hello, how do I know if my tortoises beak and nails are overgrown and do they absolutely need to be cut ( I know the beak overgrowth could cause eating issues..) because I don’t want to put him through stress ... ? also the noise part of the title is , sometimes when he swallows he makes an eep noise like a person swallowing .. is that bad?

FrankIinTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
If your tortoises nails are over an inch long they need trimming. I recommend using this: Amazon.com: Kaytee Pro-Nail Trimmer: Pet Supplies
It's cheap and efficient. I highly recommend it for your torts nails.
For the beak, I recommend using a flat feeding rock. This will wear down both your torts nails and beak. For the noise, I have no expertise. Seek help to some really good tort keepers like @zovick and @Yvonne G

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello, how do I know if my tortoises beak and nails are overgrown and do they absolutely need to be cut ( I know the beak overgrowth could cause eating issues..) because I don’t want to put him through stress ... ? also the noise part of the title is , sometimes when he swallows he makes an eep noise like a person swallowing .. is that bad?
Post some pictures of the tortoise's nails and beak and then we can give you an idea if they look overgrown or are all right as they are.