Sweaters?

jenlewisbodine

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I have been using old socks I cut to my girl’s body. They seem to be great. Is it ok to cloth my girl to keep her body temp regulated?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Clothing up your tortoise won't do mmuch for temperature regulation. It might even hinder it. If you are using a heat bulb from overhead, the sock will insulate the warmth and keep it outside of your tortoises body.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Clothes are worn by warm blooded animals to keep the SELF manufactured heat inside. Clothing on a cold blooded animal that doesn't manufacture its own heat has the opposite effect, that is, it keeps the heat out, off the animal.

jenlewisbodine

Kentucky
I only
Clothing up your tortoise won't do mmuch for temperature regulation. It might even hinder it. If you are using a heat bulb from overhead, the sock will insulate the warmth and keep it outside of your tortoises body.i only use them if she’s hanging out in the house with my family. Not outside or in her enclosure

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
ryan57 uses a "super-charged" sweater for his sulcata. To protect a warmed up tortoise from winter cold, when goes outside for a short walk

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I wouldn’t, it also hinders them absorbing their needed uv.

Welcome btw!🐢💚 out of interest what kind of tortoise do you have? And do you have a photo of your set up?😊

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I wouldn’t, it also hinders them absorbing their needed uv.

Welcome btw!🐢💚 out of interest what kind of tortoise do you have? And do you have a photo of your set up?😊
They don't absorb UVB through their shells but mostly through the skin areas not protected with hard scales, like neck. That's why many of them do the "sploots" when basking.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
They don't absorb UVB through their shells but mostly through the skin areas not protected with hard scales, like neck. That's why many of them do the "sploots" when basking.
lol that makes complete sense! I’m sure I’ve read somewhere on here that they do absorb some through their shell though? Perhaps I’m remembering wrong😬