Sweet T

Gregg T

Location (City and/or State)
KNOXVILLE
We are new to owning a tortoise and we are hoping to get lots of information and help for this girl. Her name is Sweet T. And she's a Sulcata. We understand that she has been somewhat neglected, shown by the pyramiding. She's approx 9 years old and and her shell is approx 14 in long by 11 in wide. We have only had her for about 3 weeks. We live in East Tennessee and it gets cold here in the winter so I'm currently making her a box. I'm planning on heating it w a mini oil heater on a thermostat suggested in Tom's posts. I'll do the freezer curtain on entry way w an insulated door that we can shut during really cold days/nights. Haven't got to basking lights yet but I do have the chicken brooder lamps. I don't think the bulbs would work but the metal shields should.

Attachments

• IMG_8670.jpeg
    IMG_8670.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8669.jpeg
    IMG_8669.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Congrats and welcome!! Dont listen to Tom he knows nothing about tortoises

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
We are new to owning a tortoise and we are hoping to get lots of information and help for this girl. Her name is Sweet T. And she's a Sulcata. We understand that she has been somewhat neglected, shown by the pyramiding. She's approx 9 years old and and her shell is approx 14 in long by 11 in wide. We have only had her for about 3 weeks. We live in East Tennessee and it gets cold here in the winter so I'm currently making her a box. I'm planning on heating it w a mini oil heater on a thermostat suggested in Tom's posts. I'll do the freezer curtain on entry way w an insulated door that we can shut during really cold days/nights. Haven't got to basking lights yet but I do have the chicken brooder lamps. I don't think the bulbs would work but the metal shields should.
Hello and welcome!

Probably, you won't need any basking lamps in the nightbox. As Tom explained - nightbox is more a burrow not a pen so you need only to maintain optimal temperature there. Basking lamp can burn large tortoises shell but won't be enough to warm up the core.

Gregg T

KNOXVILLE
Okay, that takes that worry my mind. Here is the the night box I'm making. It's 74x38" inside dimensions. What about winters here? Can get down below freezing and if I have to keep her locked in for a couple days, do I need to be concerned about some simulated light then?

Attachments

• IMG_8671.jpeg
    IMG_8671.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8672.jpeg
    IMG_8672.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0