Swimming as Exercise?

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
I saw this video of a tortoise swimming and I was wondering if it was okay to allow my leopard tortoises to swim when its a rainy/gloomy day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not all tortoises will swim. If yours can, it should only be under supervision and if it's warm out. Cold and wet will make your tort sick

daniellenc

Maryland
If you're soaking them daily for 30 minutes they are getting exercise and hydration so I'd leave it at that and probably not in the rain as that cools the atmosphere rapidly.

Hong Kong
If you're soaking them daily for 30 minutes they are getting exercise and hydration so I'd leave it at that and probably not in the rain as that cools the atmosphere rapidly.
hm.. it said it was going to rain tomorrow .. it will be 31 Celsius (88 Fahrenheit) Is that okay or does it have to be warmer

daniellenc

Maryland
The temp is probably fine but tortoises don't really swim.....they aren't aquatic turtles. I would still stick to just soaking as normal for 30 minutes.

Hong Kong
Hong Kong Observatory
The temp is probably fine but tortoises don't really swim.....they aren't aquatic turtles. I would still stick to just soaking as normal for 30 minutes.
I heard it was good for their back legs...My tortoises back legs seem kind of weak just wanna strengthen him up. I wont do it often though maybe a few times a month.

daniellenc

Maryland
Weak back legs are a sign of MBD so definitely getting your diet straight now is good. The exercise they get while soaking mimics swimming without the potential drowning danger and added stress.

Hong Kong
Weak back legs are a sign of MBD so definitely getting your diet straight now is good. The exercise they get while soaking mimics swimming without the potential drowning danger and added stress.
when I soak my tortoises they dont move they just sit ....... And my tortoises legs aren't weak its just that they look kinda slim....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Soaking doesn't really give a tortoise exercise and for sure not enough, when they roam a lot in the wild.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure your tortoises enclosure is big enough to get good exercise. Too small of a boring enclosure will not help them to roam. Be sure to have an outdoor enclosure for the warm days. Changing the enclosure around will get some tortoises to investigate what is looking different.

Hong Kong
Be sure your tortoises enclosure is big enough to get good exercise. Too small of a boring enclosure will not help them to roam. Be sure to have an outdoor enclosure for the warm days. Changing the enclosure around will get some tortoises to investigate what is looking different.
im not allowed to get a bigger habitat for them sadly.. my parent go like "oh they are so smallthey dont need a big habitat" and if i protest they go like "shut up or else I will sell your tortoise"

Bee62

Germany
im not allowed to get a bigger habitat for them sadly.. my parent go like "oh they are so smallthey dont need a big habitat" and if i protest they go like "shut up or else I will sell your tortoise"

It is sad that your parents will not listen what you want to say.
Mayby they are willing to read and listen to me. Let them read this:

Please allow your son to get a bigger enclosure for his torts. Why ? Torts that live wild roam a lot searching for food. They need these exercises to digest their food and to get strong muscles, to stay healthy.
It is wonderful that your son takes so good care for his torts, please help him with your permission to make things better.

Greetings from Germany
Sabine

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the enclosure is too small your tortoise is being neglected, can cause all kinds of medical problems and your parents are not being responsible for letting you get an animal and then not properly care for it. Shame on them and not a good way to teach a child proper responsibility.
Sadely if they don't let you improve things for the animal it might be best to sell them and wait until your on your own and can actually do the right thing.

Hong Kong
It is sad that your parents will not listen what you want to say.
Mayby they are willing to read and listen to me. Let them read this:

Please allow your son to get a bigger enclosure for his torts. Why ? Torts that live wild roam a lot searching for food. They need these exercises to digest their food and to get strong muscles, to stay healthy.
It is wonderful that your son takes so good care for his torts, please help him with your permission to make things better.

Greetings from Germany
Sabine
Thanks Sabine, I'll try to show my mom ... If she says yes then what habitat things do you recommend? The cheaper the better cause I've been spending a lot of their money for my tortoises...

Hong Kong
Right now they live in a rabbit cage.. They cant see through it because the bottom part is too tall for them to look over.. I know its not the best but when they get older Im planning to let them have my entire front yard.. sadly it has no grass but I will plant trays of cat grass for them to graze on

Bee62

Germany
Can you please show us some pics of your rabbit cage and your torts ?
What species do you have ? Sulcatas ?