Sleepy sulcata

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Okay, I also soak him daily. Is this stil necessary to do even with a hide box? Maybe I can soak him every other day
I soak Oli every say, due to the fact that I live in a country that is VERY DRY when talking of climate - Jordan.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Not if he is choosing to be there. As long as there is a place for him to go to cool down, it means that it is his decision, and he is enjoying the warmth.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
So I've been monitoring his temperatures and they're good! He's always out under his light and in his humid hide. I think he loves it now!

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
They know. unless you see him hiding in the coolest corner of the enclosure a lot, then it probably is fine.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
@Taylor T. since I’ve rearranged his light fixture and took out the bright light I’ve noticed he eats his calcium bone now... is that a problem? Is he lacking calcium??

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
@Taylor T. since I’ve rearranged his light fixture and took out the bright light I’ve noticed he eats his calcium bone now... is that a problem? Is he lacking calcium??
I’ve also noticed his shell kinda looks like it’s ‘peeling’ it’s been like this since I’ve had him. Is this normal?

Attachments

• F1884B94-D918-4298-B662-7F5E5AC8E841.jpeg
    F1884B94-D918-4298-B662-7F5E5AC8E841.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Are you soaking him outdoors in the sun for 20-30 minutes daily? If so, he should not be calcium deficient. It's good that he's eating the cuttlebone.

As for his shell, it looks pretty normal to me. I notice in the picture that the substrate is quite dry. Instead of just misting the enclosure, try taking a big jug of water and pouring it into the substrate. This should increase humidity dramatically. Speaking of which, what is the humidity?

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
I don’t soak him in the sun because he gets out and walks around. I let him walk around around for about 20-45 minutes and then I soak him to relax and I put him back in his table and he goes to sleep. I’m not sure what the humidity is. He has his hide that I must everyday. I don’t mist his substrate.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Why not moisten the substrate? Sulcatas are not prone to shell rot, so I don't see why you wouldn't want to.

Bee62

Germany
I don’t soak him in the sun because he gets out and walks around. I let him walk around around for about 20-45 minutes and then I soak him to relax and I put him back in his table and he goes to sleep. I’m not sure what the humidity is. He has his hide that I must everyday. I don’t mist his substrate.

It is important to know the humidity in a baby sulcata enclosure. Buy a hygrometer for monitoring the humidity. It should be 75 - 85 %.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
@Taylor T. hi... me again. It’s getting close to a less sunny season in FL. What can I do for more calcium for his shell? He’s been eating his bone but sometimes there’s no sun outside.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A tiny pinch of calcium powder sprinkled on food 3 times a week is all your tort needs

UVB passes through cloud, so torts outside will still benefit. Calcium doesn't come from the sun.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A tiny pinch of calcium powder sprinkled on food 3 times a week is all your tort needs

UVB passes through cloud, so torts outside will still benefit. Calcium doesn't come from the sun.

Just to clarify

A tortoise needs to eat calcium to keep its bone and shell strong.

It cannot absorb calcium properly without vitamin D.

Most species of tortoise seem unable to take vitamin D as a supplement and must make their own which they do when exposed to UVB light (Humans do this too)

UVB light comes naturally from the sun and passes through cloud, but does not pass through glass or perspex (plexiglass). Those torts kept indoors need artificial UVB from a lamp.

Too much calcium in the diet can impede the uptake of other vitamins and minerals so it is important not to give too much.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
Just to clarify

A tortoise needs to eat calcium to keep its bone and shell strong.

It cannot absorb calcium properly without vitamin D.

Most species of tortoise seem unable to take vitamin D as a supplement and must make their own which they do when exposed to UVB light (Humans do this too)

UVB light comes naturally from the sun and passes through cloud, but does not pass through glass or perspex (plexiglass). Those torts kept indoors need artificial UVB from a lamp.

Too much calcium in the diet can impede the uptake of other vitamins and minerals so it is important not to give too much.
So on my days that there’s not much sun, what can I do?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So on my days that there’s not much sun, what can I do?

Don't worry about UVB. The sun's UVB passes through cloud. I live in the UK - clouds are a speciality :D

On cloudy days the problem is whether your tort is warm enough to eat, be active and digest food.

A few days of bad weather aren't a problem; bad weather happens in the wild too. It's prolonged periods of cold weather that are a problem.

Then you have 3 choices:

1. Have an indoor enclosure with heat and UVB lamps. Works for the Testudo and very young Sullies and Leopards, but not an option for large sulcatas and leopards as they need too much space.

2. Have heated outdoor accommodation - a basking lamp in a shelter and a heated nightbox. They can wander outside, but get in when they want to bask.

3. Hibernation - for Testudo, but NOT for Sulcatas and Leopards that cannot hibernate ever.