Sleepy sulcata

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
I can estimate that it would be about right, but it also depends on the type of bulb, how reflective the dome you have it in is, and several other factors. The only way to tell for sure is with your thermometer.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
That's true, thank you!!!!! I'll do some experimenting. I also was reading somewhere thag some bulbs increase in temp as the time goes on. Is that true? Or does it remain the same temp all day long? I have the zoo med double light (the calcium lamp and my heat lamp)

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
That's true, thank you!!!!! I'll do some experimenting. I also was reading somewhere thag some bulbs increase in temp as the time goes on. Is that true? Or does it remain the same temp all day long? I have the zoo med double light (the calcium lamp and my heat lamp)
I think most bulbs will heat up to their highest temperature in just a few minutes. This is not to say, however, that the ground beneath the light will heat up quickly.

Is your UVB light (your calcium one) in the shape of a coil or several parallel loops?

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
This is my light fixture. The breeder made me a set up and this is what they gave me

Attachments

• IMG_4478.PNG
    IMG_4478.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Yes, but it is about twice the price of if you order it online. He will be fine without a UVB bulb while it is being delivered, especially if you bring him outside every once in a while. In fact, if he is able to go outside for about three hours total each week, he does not need a UVB bulb at all.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
Oh... so if that's the case (I do bring him outside for at least 20-30 min daily. I have a huge screened in porch and he LOVES it) can I put another bulb next to the heat bulb to increase the heat? If so, what do you suggest I can put next to it?

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
If its a screened porch, the screen will filter out most of the sun, unfortunately. But if you just soak him daily outside in the sun for 20-30 minutes, then you do not need a UVB bulb. For a replacement the the loop bulb, use a incandescent bulb (google it, it's what people used to use to light their house). These are very inexpensive bulbs, that you can get at the dollar store, walmart, or any hardware store.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
If its a screened porch, the screen will filter out most of the sun, unfortunately. But if you just soak him daily outside in the sun for 20-30 minutes, then you do not need a UVB bulb. For a replacement the the loop bulb, use a incandescent bulb (google it, it's what people used to use to light their house). These are very inexpensive bulbs, that you can get at the dollar store, walmart, or any hardware store.
Would these be okay in replace of the coiled light?

Attachments

• IMG_4479.PNG
    IMG_4479.PNG
    829.1 KB · Views: 6

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Yes, they do give of heat.

That bulb IS an incandescent bulb. They just market is as a reptile specific bulb, and jack the price up. The problem with that bulb is that it is only 20 watt. You would want one that is more like 60 watt.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
Okay, so with that being said, about the heat, my blue bulb is 60 watt... should I get a lower one in the event that it's too hot for him? He's only a few months old

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Again, the only way to tell is with your thermometer in your setup, but I would guess that if you already have a 60 watt you would want around a 45 watt as the other one. That puts it at a total of just over 100 watts, which sounds about right to me.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Only if it produces heat.

Some houses use CFL bulbs (these are bulbs that are in a coil shape DON"T use these)

Some houses use the newer LED bulbs (these won't work well as they don't produce heat)

But if it is an incandescent bulb,(the way to tell if it is an incandescent is if it produces a lot of heat) Then yes, it will work fine.

If you post a picture of a bulb you are thinking of using, I can tell you what kind it is.