Swollen eyes! Help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We have a baby red footed tortoise that we’ve had about 2 months now. All of a sudden his eyes are swollen shut. After researching I think it might have something to do with the lights we got. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-tropical-uvb-heat-lighting/dp/183201?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Zoo Med&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0_6fu9n_5gIVGYiGCh2qfQtwEAQYASABEgKwx_D_BwE
Tell us more about the enclosure. Those cfl lights can be a problem and might be the culprit, but other things can contribute too. What type of substrate are you using? Is it damp or dry? What size and type enclosure? What is the ambient humidity? Is there a humid hide?

Those lights you bought are for basking and UV, but how are you maintaining the ambient temperatures day and night?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Turn off and get rid of those lights. Until your new one comes you can get by with just using a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb for heat. Do you also have a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for heat?

Tortmom0003

Greensboro NC
Would this light be okay with my CHE as well? I’ve got the baby in a 10 gallon tank now til the weather warms up a bit (still in the 60s here) the humidity stays around 80, I have a humidifier and I’ll mist if it drops below that. Moss inside the hide to help hold humidity.

3AF1D589-6D6B-4BE9-B248-E850CF495BD7.jpeg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hope you soon get some more help re the lights.
How is he doing now?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ended up being a respiratory infection! On antibiotics now.
Really? With just swollen eyes as the symptoms? Sounds a bit iffy...but I wish him a full recovery.
Did he see a reptile vet? Just asking because here in Jamaica, there are no reptile vets as such, and I have long ago stopped taking any of my reptiles to unqualified vets who know little or nothing about them. I have dearly paid the price for it. Just saying...! Not saying this would apply to you.:):tort:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ended up being a respiratory infection! On antibiotics now.
The lights are correct.
Having a vet that doesn't understand tortoise inject a tortoise with anything is a crapshoot. So good luck there. (It's not Baytrill hopefully)
You want warmth not hot. Between 80 and 85 is great.
Redfoot are shade dwelling. So no harsh, bright lights. Make sure there are areas to hide. Hard to do. If not impossible in that tiny aquarium.
They require high humidity. Especially when young. Over 70% humidity.
This is easiest to do with a semi sealed "closed chamber" enclosure.
Right away, you'll need to adapt something....Maybe a large plastic tote into a larger enclosure that is set up to hold humidity.