Swollen eyes?

peridot

Location (City and/or State)
NC
Recently picked up my new baby and I noticed that during the past week his eyes have been bothering him. I’ve never had this issue with my other radiated hatchlings before and wanted to check with you all. He doesn’t want to open his eyes in the morning, but then opens them up normally once he’s soaked. He seems to be rubbing them on his legs a lot, too. Do I need to run him to my local exotic vet? I can also start soaking him in baby food carrot soaks, too. I just didn’t want this to be a start of an infection. Has anyone else dealt with something like this?. IMG_6991.jpgIMG_6987.jpg

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
What are you using for substrate and what kind of UV bulb are you using? This is unusual for radiated tortoises. Lets figure out whats causing it and deal with that, but I would also suggest you get some antibiotic eye drops from your vet.

peridot

NC
What are you using for substrate and what kind of UV bulb are you using? This is unusual for radiated tortoises. Lets figure out whats causing it and deal with that, but I would also suggest you get some antibiotic eye drops from your vet.

I use coconut fiber for their substrate. And I use a zoomed T5 HO 10.0 bulb for UV.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Make sure he's warm enough. I wouldn't allow the temperature in his enclosure to get below 80F degrees.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I use coconut fiber for their substrate. And I use a zoomed T5 HO 10.0 bulb for UV.
If it were me I would run to the vet and see what he/she says. looks like some type of infection. That substrate is fine.....are you keeping it damp? and I use those same bulbs - never had any eye issues...how high off the substrate do you have the bulbs hanging? Do you have a solarmeter? if so what is the UVI reading? If you have it in with other tortoises I would separate them quick.

peridot

NC
If it were me I would run to the vet and see what he/she says. looks like some type of infection. That substrate is fine.....are you keeping it damp? and I use those same bulbs - never had any eye issues...how high off the substrate do you have the bulbs hanging? Do you have a solarmeter? if so what is the UVI reading? If you have it in with other tortoises I would separate them quick.

Yes! I have a mister that goes off several times a day. So, the substrate stays damp, but not super wet. The bulbs are about 17” high.
I don’t have a solarmeter. I’ve been meaning to get one, but haven’t yet.

Yes, he’s housed with another tortoise. I’ll work on getting them separated ASAPz Do you think it looks like an eye infection? Or something else?

He has an appointment tomorrow morning.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Yes! I have a mister that goes off several times a day. So, the substrate stays damp, but not super wet. The bulbs are about 17” high.
I don’t have a solarmeter. I’ve been meaning to get one, but haven’t yet.

Yes, he’s housed with another tortoise. I’ll work on getting them separated ASAPz Do you think it looks like an eye infection? Or something else?

He has an appointment tomorrow morning.
It's hard to say if its an eye infection or an upper respiratory thing or both, or neither. When I have dealt with similar things with leopard tortoises and star tortoises, the vet usually gave me drops to use in the eyes and the nares. Let us know what the vet says.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I agree that the first thing is to separate him from the other one. Let us know the results of the vet visit! All the best.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is your tortoise eating? Active?

peridot

NC
Is your tortoise eating? Active?

He’s active on and off. Some days he’s more active then others. And he’s still eating but doesn’t have a big appetite.

peridot

NC
It's hard to say if its an eye infection or an upper respiratory thing or both, or neither. When I have dealt with similar things with leopard tortoises and star tortoises, the vet usually gave me drops to use in the eyes and the nares. Let us know what the vet says.

Called the vet back and they were able to work us in today. They’re worried it could be the start of a RI, but the X-ray didn’t show anything in the lungs. They put him on enrofloxacin. Does anyone know anything about that antibiotic?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
as far as turtles , the eyes is the first place I think you can see a sick animal , then behavior , usually simultaneously , I think it's infallible in identifying an unwell animal ……the only time I've ever used an eye ointment was on a turtle that been buried in the ground for 6-7 months , and even then not that often , I think an eye infection is seldom a primary concern ……. keep him hydrated ,warm and unstressed ......… imo , if you don't see improvement before a 3rd dose , definitely shouldn't get worse , if so i'd tell the vet it doesn't seem to be working ……. how are the antibiotics being administered ? it's baytril , lots of folks don't like it , lots of vets use it …….

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Called the vet back and they were able to work us in today. They’re worried it could be the start of a RI, but the X-ray didn’t show anything in the lungs. They put him on enrofloxacin. Does anyone know anything about that antibiotic?
Enrofloxacin is generally sold under the name Baytril. Many tortoises, especially those from South Africa, have horrible reactions to it. Leopard tortoises, angulata, etc... can have immediate allergic reactions to it.

That being said I have not heard of these reactions when given to radiated tortoises.

When he gave your tortoise the injection, was there any signs of a reaction? Some tortoises will swell internally to the point where they are forced to evacuate their bladder. Watch your tortoise very closely and if you see any signs of a reaction, have your vet use another antibiotic. Marbofloxacin is in the same family as enrofloxacin but does not have any side effects with tortoises. Unfortunately it is an oral medication. Did he take a culture to see what pathogens are at work?

Read this:
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/baytril.html

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I believe you'll find baytril oral has exactly the same side effects as marbofloxacin (zeniquin)…….. injectable baytril contains n-butanol and potassium hydrochloride , the pain reaction you see I doubt is to the enrofloxacin . allergic reaction and seizures would most likely be caused by any fluoroquinolone in any sensitive individual no matter the route of administration ……….. my dogs will eat 130mg enrofloxacin tablets and want more , they like them … you can put a fish in a enrofloxacin bath …….

peridot

NC
Enrofloxacin is generally sold under the name Baytril. Many tortoises, especially those from South Africa, have horrible reactions to it. Leopard tortoises, angulata, etc... can have immediate allergic reactions to it.

That being said I have not heard of these reactions when given to radiated tortoises.

When he gave your tortoise the injection, was there any signs of a reaction? Some tortoises will swell internally to the point where they are forced to evacuate their bladder. Watch your tortoise very closely and if you see any signs of a reaction, have your vet use another antibiotic. Marbofloxacin is in the same family as enrofloxacin but does not have any side effects with tortoises. Unfortunately it is an oral medication. Did he take a culture to see what pathogens are at work?

Read this:
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/baytril.html

They gave him an oral dose at the vet and he had no reactions. He’s actually eating like a pig tonight, which he hasn’t done in ages.

Would you recommend I see if they can change it to Marbofloxacin? I did a search and found so many horrible posts about Baytril. But, I’ve been watching him closely all day and he hasn’t shown any horrible reactions, other then acting sluggish for a few hours after.

peridot

NC
as far as turtles , the eyes is the first place I think you can see a sick animal , then behavior , usually simultaneously , I think it's infallible in identifying an unwell animal ……the only time I've ever used an eye ointment was on a turtle that been buried in the ground for 6-7 months , and even then not that often , I think an eye infection is seldom a primary concern ……. keep him hydrated ,warm and unstressed ......… imo , if you don't see improvement before a 3rd dose , definitely shouldn't get worse , if so i'd tell the vet it doesn't seem to be working ……. how are the antibiotics being administered ? it's baytril , lots of folks don't like it , lots of vets use it …….

The antibiotic is being given orally.

I’m keeping him warm and soaking him frequently. I’ve seen him drink several times since we got home.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
The thing with Baytril is that it does work very well - as long as it doesn't kill or otherwise damage the tortoise in the mean time. If he is giving it orally anyway, then I would ask him to switch to Marbofloxacin....why not.

@mark1 's comment above about oral Baytril having different compounds than injectable might eliminate the issues, but I have never heard of anyone using oral Baytril, so I have nothing to add there.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
injectable baytril is not meant to be given orally ........don't know if it's from the manufacturer or compounded by outside sources but there is a oral baytril solution ………... I would think if there is an allergic reaction it would most likely be to the enrofloxacin itself ……. i'm sure the injection site pain is most likely the additives , injecting alcohol and potassium chloride sounds like it might sting . …….. most antibiotics got folks who are allergic to them , and come with that warning ……….. the reaction in your link is obviously anaphylaxis , it's not something that will make your animal slowly sicker and gradually kill them , it will make them sick and kill them quickly …... the whole baytril thing reminds of the way rimadyl is perceived , the internet magnifies any problems , i'm sure the pain response helps with the poor view baytril gets ……...

chartle

Phoenix, AZ
Recently picked up my new baby and I noticed that during the past week his eyes have been bothering him. I’ve never had this issue with my other radiated hatchlings before and wanted to check with you all. He doesn’t want to open his eyes in the morning, but then opens them up normally once he’s soaked. He seems to be rubbing them on his legs a lot, too. Do I need to run him to my local exotic vet? I can also start soaking him in baby food carrot soaks, too. I just didn’t want this to be a start of an infection. Has anyone else dealt with something like this?. View attachment 272624View attachment 272625
We took our Baby to the Exotic animal care with big red puffy eyes and was told to use Saline drops that a person would use for contacts!