Swollen eyes ?

Abee

5 Year Member
hi
Her eyes look swollen or I am getting paranoid ? she is eating normally and unlike the other guy sleeps allot as usual.

Attachments

• 1380704149093.jpg
    1380704149093.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 270

Abee

5 Year Member
Any help?

Sent from my PantechP9070 using TortForum mobile app

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, New York
Abee, From this photo, it does look like her eyes are swollen. Can you take another photo? Also some info regarding; age, what you feed her, soaks per day, climate, and enclosure. And do a search on this forum regarding what would cause such swelling. I will send you a culture sheet on how to care for SL Star hatchlings (up to 75 grams), which may be a good guide line on how to care for you star.

~C

Abee

5 Year Member
Hi one month back she was in an indoor enclosure on top soil but she started eating soil and I was not able to monitor the poop so I again left her open in my apartment where she looks comparatively happy. I feed her hibiscus leaves, okra, fenugreek , grass , carrot any veggies which I eat and cucumber is a must as its there fav food. I leave a shallow plate of water for her but forced soaks are given one a week as I leave early in morning and come late in night.

Attachments

• 1380717970623.jpg
    1380717970623.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 186

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Please look over the culture sheet that I sent to you. She needs a place to bask in 95-100 degree. You can use paper towels instead of soil. Put her back into her enclosure and add a hide, basking spot and cool area (80-85 degree). She may die if you don't put some of these simple guide lines in place.

~C

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Do you mean on the floor of your apartment? That is WAY too cold for a tortoise. She will get very sick without a basking light.

Abee

5 Year Member
Hi

Just forgot to mention that I stay in Pune India where climate is good and my torts have direct access to sunlight for whole day.
The care sheet provided by clmoss has instructions for 50-75 GM tort...this lady has a carapace of length 5 inch and weighs more than 100 GM definitely.

After seeing the second photo do you think there is a problem?
I will anyways follow the tips given. Any more advise considering above?

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I did not realize that your Star was that old... But these guide-lines should still be followed. If I were you, I would start to follow them ASAP.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think her eyes look fine....in the first pic it just looks like she is eager with the thought of consuming all in front of her....lol and she looks fine in the second pic as well....

I do think that a designated space is ideal for a tort ...although it sounds as though you have made your home her designated space...are your floors concrete? or a cold material? If you are going to allow her to roam the house then I would set up a spot that has a basking heat source as well as a hide that is warm and easily accessible for the tort....

I would also try to get introduced into her diet alot more dark leafy greens ...and uh, a small amount of cucumber but not alot---this is not a healthy food to consume in large amounts on a daily basis...

Abee

5 Year Member
Hi All

I could identify the problem. She was not pooping. So I kept her in separate space from the other one.gave her a lot of greens and a separate water plate. She pooped like an elephant on day one and now everything looks fine.
She has her natural basking light as Indian sun ,she has access to my terrace and basks every afternoon.
Thanks

Attachments

• 1381380290550.jpg
    1381380290550.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 105

ashish

5 Year Member
1381505121033.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100G using TortForum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Abee

5 Year Member
Looks like this guy also roams around in home. Which city ?
Looks pretty healthy and happy.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Abee said:
Looks like this guy also roams around in home. Which city ?
Looks pretty healthy and happy.

Yes but what these people are telling you is that you have him inside almost all day so you NEED to have a warm basking area for her. When the tortoise is inside even though the sun is coming into the window that is not going to work for the tort. The tortoise NEEDS a warm place that IF She is cold. You may not feel like it is cold in the house but the tortoises NEED to be warm they are cold blooded. So this is something you should take in consideration. I would do this ASAP if I were you.

Abee

5 Year Member
One thing which always amaze me is that people on tort forum always think that other keeper is not taking care of his tort. both of my torts have access to direct sun and believe me it is doing wonders to them. I have them with me for last 2 years....their clock is set as per sun they wake up eat on their own bask in sun when they feel like...drink and soak as they want...I just need to worry about their calcium supplement which I do twice a week. I posted the pix cuz I was worried....posted again as she is ok now...

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: Spraying the tortoise

Pleas be patient. Most here are just trying to help.
Interesting, what we take for granted in America can be unheard of in other countries.
Just curious if you all that live in India can order these specified reptile products online. Are your electrical devices different from other countries? I would imagine you could use things ordered from reptile suppliers in UK.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Interesting... She asked for info... After 20 years of experience owning Stars, she is upset that I give her info regarding the care of Stars... Many others who did reply may have never seen an Indian Star, no less owned a Star. If you know everything than why ask???

Abee

5 Year Member
Dear clmoss
The care sheet which you provided was good probably not everything was applicable to Indian climate..but it was good and I appreciate that you sent it to me. I was particularly bothered with the last post where someone without reading the thread said if I were you I would do this asap....:dodgy:....I clearly mentioned that they have access to an open terrace and Indian sun is good .... I posted because attimes I get paranoid even when my pets are ok. When even you opined that her eyes were swollen I kept her separate from other tort, I got to know that she was eating but notpooping...she had ingested my dogs hair which was causing the trouble...my vet helped me with that and she is doing fine...temperature is not the only problem for torts specially in their native country...thanks again for your opinion ..ultimately w all are here to share some good info which can help other keepers.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Abee, with all due respect... When I say ASAP, it is because something needed to be addressed regarding how you keep your Star. Stars can be sick for a really long time before a noticeable symptom will show up like swollen eyes. Symptoms need to be addressed ASAP, because once it reaches a critical point, it maybe too late. Regarding climate in India...that has nothing to do with anything. Your Star is still living in captivity and not in his/her natural habitat. Some of our best Star breeders torts live their lives in a indoor enclosure that are monitored 24-7 and do very well. We also have hot humid summer months; however, they are still kept inside. Because you live in India, you should not be complacent about their husbandry. You see, Star tortoises in the U.S. are precious and our breeders have researched and explored how to keep and help them thrive in our country. Also note that I was not the only one who said "ASAP." It was in your best interest ( and your star) to act ASAP by taking him/her to the vet. Also note that "dog hair" was not on the list of favorable foods for stars... Good info is what I gave to you not an opinion, it was fact.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Abee,
I agree with CLMoss.
Also if you have air conditioning on which you probably do because of the hot climate, the floor will act as a conductor and pull the heat out of your tortoise creating stress and illness. I do not recommend anyone allowing there Star tortoise to walk around inside their house, there is too many potential hazards.
I believe I also have the care sheet CLMoss sent you, and it's very good.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
i also agree with CLMoss..... just because its India and just because the native habitat of Indian star is India it does not mean we leave it to chance and just belief.... do you have a thermometer ? just check the temp... of the ground in your apartment.... you will be shocked at that.... the cold that our feet can't detect is easily detected and felt by the tortoise.... their legs are highly sensitive..... what i see in my tort is that... when i bring him in at night, since its winter already he climbs over to the bed mattress and tucks himself in.... so they are very sensitive ..... he won't leave the bed mattress till the floor is warm enough.... then when the sun is out he goes to his balcony enclosure.... i'm planning to build a styrofoam house for him for the night...it will be a good insulated one....