Swollen neck ?

axmna

Location (City and/or State)
UAE, sharjah
Can someone tell me if the neck of my mediterranean tortoise swollen ? Or is it normal during shedding of the tortoise skin ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240707_041510_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240707_041510_WhatsApp.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 2

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Much better! Certainly look swollen to me. When did you first notice it? Any changes in diet and/or eating habits?

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Much better! Certainly look swollen to me. When did you first notice it? Any changes in diet and/or eating habits?
I recently took it to the vet like 2 3 weeks ago and they gave it a vitamin injection and calcium since it wasnt opening it's eye or eating.. its been eating since then but I noticied this a week ago but minor purplish thinking because of its skin shedding.. it eats marrow and cucumber and sometimes red capsicum very little amount.. its active also now adays after the visit from the vet

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I recently took it to the vet like 2 3 weeks ago and they gave it a vitamin injection and calcium since it wasnt opening it's eye or eating.. its been eating since then but I noticied this a week ago but minor purplish thinking because of its skin shedding.. it eats marrow and cucumber and sometimes red capsicum very little amount.. its active also now adays after the visit from the vet
Vitamin A injections have been known to cause some sloughing of the skin. But I've never seen it cause a purple discoloration like that though. @Yvonne G ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Please!!!!!
I just saw this story on an animal vet show.
They came in with a Sulcata tortoise with an extremely swollen neck.
IT WAS BECAUSE IT HAD BACKED UP WITH POOP!!!

SOAK! SOAK!!! SOAK!!!!
Soak your tortoise until it poops other wise it will get stuck and its neck will get worse.
Sorry to hear about this so late too.
Wishes!!
Good luck!! 🍀
Keep us posted. !!
🙏❤️

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Please!!!!!

SOAK! SOAK!!! SOAK!!!!
Soak your tortoise until it poops other wise it will get stuck and its neck will get worse.
Wishes!!
Good luck!! 🍀
Keep us posted. !!
🙏❤️
Thank you so much! Appreciate your help

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Please!!!!!

SOAK! SOAK!!! SOAK!!!!
Wishes!!
Good luck!! 🍀
Keep us posted. !!
🙏❤️
I had a question my tortoise almost poops everyday I soaked it yestetday and it pooped.. could there be an another problem?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have no idea. It's not normal though. I would try to find a different vet. I'm not confident this one knows what it's doing.
But ask here first before any vet visit.
What are the temps?
Basking? Should be 95-100
All over? 75-80
Night? Around 70 or room temp.
Humidity?
Enclosure type?
Add a lot more variety to its diet.
If you are using any coil, mercury or halogen bulbs stop using them
He should be in a closed chamber enclosure with 80% humidity.
@Yvonne G
@Tom
@Markw84

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Maybe he has MORE to poop???
Just because he pooped once doesn’t mean he is done!
Soak him until you can talk to
@Yvonne G
@Tom
@zovick
🚽❤️🚽❤️🚽❤️🚽❤️🚽❤️🚽

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can someone tell me if the neck of my mediterranean tortoise swollen ? Or is it normal during shedding of the tortoise skin ?
This is not normal and tortoises don't need or benefit from "vitamin injections". That seems to be something vets do when they don't know what else to do.

Review this info and make sure your set up, lighting, temperatures, diet and hydration are all correct:

zovick

10 Year Member!
Sorry to say that I am at a loss as to what is causing the discoloration. Generalized swelling could be due to kidney damage/failure. This kidney problem could be brought on by dehydration from lack of regular soaking over the past several months and exacerbated by injection of products which need to be processed through the kidneys (of which vitamin C would be one).

If there is no swelling anywhere but the neck, I don't know what may be causing it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How is your tortoise doing now? Please try to respond to the questions asked, because any and all information should be given to us if we are to have the best chance to help! Also can you post a few more pics of the entire tort including underneath. Thanks!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You took the tortoise to a vet because it wasn't opening its eyes or eating? Well first, they won't eat if their eyes are closed, and if the eyes are closed, there is probably a problem with the lights being used for the enclosure. Some lights will definitely damage their eyes. So the eyes are closed and it can't eat. You take it to a vet who has little or no tortoise experience, and so decides to administer calcium and vitamin injections. The injections hurt the tortoise and probably cause the swelling. That is my view of the situation. I may be partially wrong but not totally.