Swollen/Puffy Neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
Last night was the first night of cooler temps. I brought all of my red-foots inside the heated shed to stay overnight. This morning as I was putting them all back outside I noticed one of my older female's neck was very swollen. She wasn't like that when I put her in there last night. There was nothing but cypress mulch as a substrate and heat lamps in there. Have any of you guys experienced anything like this? No wheezing, or runny nose. She ate some watermelon this afternoon. There is definitely something wrong. She is the first one to come greet me every day. Let me know if you've seen this before. Thanks.

Roseswollenneck2.jpg

Roseswollenneck1.jpg

-Matt

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Have never seen it Matt. Have no idea.. totally clueless.

As a Vet. - what would you do if someone brought her in to you? Ask us I guess.....

Hoping for the best!

NERD

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Kidney problem is the first thing that comes to mind when I see fluid retention Matt. It's time to get to a vet for some blood tests and probably a course of kidney friendly antibiotics while you wait for the test results to come back.

Danny

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree with Danny. She also appears to be puffy around the body where her legs attach. Do you see any puffiness in her rear end as well?

She needs a blood panel to check for renal failure, and I would also do everything I could to keep her well hydrated and help flush any excess toxins from the body.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Good luck with her Matt. I knew Danny would have a suggestion and I think that Kristina has something there too. Let us know what the vet says.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I took her to work today and the vet said either an infection from some sort of injury (possibly something poked her?) or as Danny said renal problems. It was acute, so I don't think it's kidney issues. Bacterial infections can pop up like that so fast, like I said it was overnight.

I make an appt. to see my herp vet at 2:00 tomorrow. Hopefully it will just be something that can be cleared up with antibiotics. She's always been a healthy, happy girl. Thanks for all the responses. I haven't seen anything like this before. I'll update after the vet visit tomorrow.

-Matt

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Just returned home from my herp vet. Good news! It's what I had suspected. When I put her in for the night, she must have inhaled some irritant dust particles of some sort. She had inflammation of the trachea which in turn caused an immune response, triggering a buildup of interstitial fluid around the neck. She was prescribed Baytril injections for the next 8 weeks.

-Matt

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
always glad to hear good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.