T.h.boettgeri or T.h.hercegovinensis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I would like to ask you for your expertise.

I bought this young male. I have my suspicions it is not the sub-species I bought it for.

Can you give me your view on what sub-species of the Herman's tortoise this is?

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

Thanks Hank.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bucharest, Romania z6
It looks like a hermanni x boettgeri hybrid, since it has both inguinals and the black on the plastron is quite rich. However, that black would fit a herzegovinensis, since there are lots of individuals in the T.h.herz. areal having one or both inguinals scutes present. I would be inclined towards pure herzegovinensis with inguinals, because I suppose that hybrids implying boettgeri will have a more irregular black on the plastron. Maybe wrong, wait for more experienced answer.

Hank

5 Year Member
Thank you for your post. It is interesting reading.

I'm looking forward to hearing more views.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Forgot to say, being busy to be smart: of course it can be plain Boettgeri too, LOL!!! Only pure Western is excluded. But for such a small animal, you should wait more to find for sure.

LongislandPhan

5 Year Member
I just ordered a Dalmation (hercegovinensis) and it looks like you may have one aswell. However, as mentioned above it will become much easier to classify him definitively as he ages. Goodluck!

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
are there any differences in care for the dalmatian species from the easternhermanns?

10mm

5 Year Member
Beeliz said:
are there any differences in care for the dalmatian species from the easternhermanns?

Same care.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
This tortoise is almost definitely a 100% Eastern Hermann's, Testudo hermanni boettgeri. It is definitely not a Western/Eastern hybrid and only shows one minor characteristic of a Dalmatian.

Status
Not open for further replies.