T-Rex Cypress Bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortguy521

5 Year Member
Yes i have used the mulch before it is pretty good and moist it works good with red foots.

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I currently use T-Rex cypress with sphagnum and it holds in a lot of moisture, so it helps with the humidity too

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Do you guys find that you get bugs in your enclosures using this and moss? Do you have plants in your enclosures also?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I get rid of the little bugs and then bam a month or so later there they are again! At least they don't seem to be dangerous or out of control. As far as the cypress, I'm not sure if its helped or just slowed them down because they have to start over? I've been changing things in the enclosure to see what the real issue is. But I haven't used the t-rex brand Candy, so I can't speak specifically for your situation. Maybe it is the sphagnum? Maybe its just part of life?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I'm puzzled with these bugs guys.. I've never had an issue with any and I don't "sterilize" anything either. Has to be the brand of cypress???

I even use all that potting soil/top soil mixture stuff in their nest-box. The only other thing is plants???

NERD

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I took out some of Dale's plants yesterday thinking that that might be the problem. We'll see, but Dale did not like that he came over and looked to see what I was doing. :( If anyone knows the answer to this please give it to me, is bark the same thing as mulch? I saw some at Home Depot and was wondering. :)

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
With my combination of t-rex cypress and the zoo med long fibered sphagnum moss, I have not had problems with any bugs. Maybe is has something to do with turning the cypress and rinsing the sphagnum every day. I dont know but maybe that helps to keep the bugs away.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I also think it may be the live plants because I read that springtails (what I presume the bugs are) each decomposing leaves and other degrading organic matter... I haven't noticed any bugs for a while since removing some of the things that I think they were living in/eating.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
As I'm reading Jordan's post I realized that I've had the same bug flying around me for at least 4 days while I'm typing on this computer. He must have followed me from the other room where Dale is. :D I can't believe this he's very annoying. I'm starting to wonder what he lives off of in here there's nothing for him to eat. He flys around the computer screen because of the light. Hopefully the others stay in Dales enclosure they don't seem to bother him as much as this one bothers me. :p :D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
There was a similar thread on here not too long ago, and I seem to remember Meg suggesting that people bake the substrate before using it to kill little bugs and bug eggs ?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I use just plain soil, mixed with some peat moss, and put some Forest Floor by zoo med on top of the whole thing, which is cypress mulch, and so far haven't had any bugs. I have lots of plants in there, and even bring in some when the Fall comes before they freeze. The same thing for the boxies, and lots of leaf litter in there too. I haven't noticed any bugs. Although there is a little tiny bug flying around my computer too, and the boxie's are in the same room as the computer. Maybe they are eating the little bugs. I'll have to look really close in there now.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I think maybe you have enough plants, worms, and moss to make your ecosystem balanced enough that its just perfect... to darn perfect! lol

I really don't notice the problem anymore and I'm down to one live plant (the rest are plastic) and some moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.