Fungus gnats in substrate

mgreen

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
I have recently had problems with fungus gnats breeding in our indoor redfoot enclosure. The moist orchid bark substrate just proliferates them and they spread into the house. I switched to a mixture of 3/4 cypress mulch, 1/4 orchid bark and have ordered some gnatrol (BTi-WDG) to try and drench the substrate weekly.

Anyone have any experience with using gnatrol? [Bacillus thuringienis israelensis (water-dispersible granular)]

Prairie Mom

Sorry, I haven't heard of "gnatrol". I regularly battle fungus gnats in my plants and substrates and will be curious about the responses you get here. Once I accidentally brought in a harmless spider with some plants. The little guy made such a huge difference. I didn't interfere with his web and let him get well fed. I doubt he and my tortoise ever even met:)

Good luck!

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
We had them in Troggy's first enclosure. Then the spiders came along. There were so many gnats we could see them flying all over in there from across the room. Thousands, probably. I only saw one or two spiders, but in a month or so, the gnats were gone.

Once again, no idea on the Gnatrol, but spiders are pretty great.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Gnatrol works. I don't know if I'd ever use it in an enclosure, though. You have to drench the substrate and unless you have a false bottom, I probably wouldn't do it.

I've applied it to indoor houseplants before. I think it took two applications a week apart to get rid of the majority of gnats. It's been about a year since I've used that product.. switched to pitcher plants.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
"I don't know if I'd ever use it in an enclosure, though."

Any particular reason in mind?

"You have to drench the substrate and unless you have a false bottom, I probably wouldn't do it."

I guess I should re-state. In *my* situation with lots of plants, I cannot have saturated medium for an extended amount of time or the roots will suffer. A false bottom or other way to drain the excess solution would fix that issue. Sorry for not elaborating :)

mgreen

10 Year Member!
Thanks. I posted the question to ask if anyone had any experience with Gnatrol in tortoise enclosures. When I read about it, it seemed to be a very "organic" way to control fungus gnats but wasn't sure if it would be safe around my tortoise. Supposedly, it is a "biological control" containing beneficial nematodes that only are harmful to certain types of gnats and other insects. It has been used on houseplants, in nurseries and in hydroponic growing mediums. Since my redfoot requires high humidity, a periodic water drench of gnatrol would pose no problem in my enclosure and would probably solve my fungus gnat issue.

mgreen

10 Year Member!
Well, so far so good! Gnatrol has completely eliminated my fungus gnat problem in my indoor enclosure after a 3-time weekly application drench to the substrate (2 tsp to 1 gal distilled water). My tortoise seems as happy and normal as ever.

No more gnats!!

Prairie Mom

Well, so far so good! Gnatrol has completely eliminated my fungus gnat problem in my indoor enclosure after a 3-time weekly application drench to the substrate (2 tsp to 1 gal distilled water). My tortoise seems as happy and normal as ever.

No more gnats!!
Awesome. I'll have to try it out when my grow-light garden gets too infested.

addouk

5 Year Member
Hiya all, I have such an issue with gnats...can't seem to buy gnatrol in the uk..anyone know a substitute to purchase and use that's safe for my tort and available in the uk?
Thanks x