table accessories?

THEADEMARCO

Location (City and/or State)
London
I'm getting a Hermann's on Saturday and wondering if I have enough in the table. To preface, I know that I should not make it too crowded as to maintain a good space for the tortoise to roam in. However, is this enough for the inside of the enclosure?

Water bowl
Feeding slate
Hide
Terracotta plant pot for shade
zoo med calcium block
I feel like maybe I should buy some kind of toys? Not sure. Also, I am planning to create a humid hide because I have been told it is a good idea, but I have zero clue how. Any advice on how to make a humid hide? Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Toys are not for tortoises. Plants are, proper size enclosure and proper heat, light, humidity, diet is.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Your list of things for the table is fine - be sure to have a very shallow water dish,partly sunk into the substrate, so there is no chance of him falling in and flipping on his back. You could give him a piece of cuttlefish bone - Ours used to chew at it and push it around his enclosure - he would get through it really quickly - not exactly a toy, but he spent a lot of time with it - then he stopped and showed no interest in it ever again !
Angie (from Devon)

THEADEMARCO

London
Thank you both. I will make sure to get some tortoise friendly plants and a piece of cuttlefish bone!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To make a humid hide, get a black plastic dish washing tub, called a "washing up tub" over there, flip it upside down, cut a door hole just large enough for the tortoise, and dampen the substrate under it a bit.