Table top enclosure

Jedispice

Location (City and/or State)
EVERETT, WA
Hello!
I joke with my SO that I feel like I live in a turtle table. The kitchen is the warm side, averaging around 77. The living room is where my parrot is, and is around 73. Our bedroom is our "hidey" at around 65 :)
Anywhoo - I work in the kitchen, and have an open low boy for our YF Rocketman. Warm side is around 80+ with a 90+ basking spot. Cool side fluctuates around 73 -77 (70 at night). It's full of moss and a thick layer of eco earth and top layer of coconut "big" shavings (not sure what those are called), he's got a few live plants. Since I am home I heavily mist the moss and area - it's nice and cozy and very humid in there, but does take me tending to it often. I also have a Levoit humidifier that sits outside his cage on the cool end - and the mist gently falls over most of the area. Oh I also have a dyson hot cool air filter on in the kitchen - so it keeps the kitchen nice and warm. (since it's an open tank I wanted to make sure)

What do you guys think of this setup? I worry that it's humid enough. I have temp monitors on either end, and a moisture gauge that I can test any area of the cage. To get it super humid (80+) takes me misting it every few hours or so. It's probably a cheap one, from zoo med. (any suggestions on better ones?)

When I stick my face in it I can feel the humidity though. Not sure how to go about closing off a portion if that's suggested as best. I have a UVB long light that unfortunately is not quite as big as the tank lengthwise (it's still pretty big and covers half of the tank) so I often just move it to where he is (for now). But he typically stays on one end or the other so no big deal. I leave the ceramic clamped heat light on above his basking area, and it also hits his soaking pool a little. It's clamped to the side. (Eventually I want to fix this - it seems somewhat jerry rigged - but working from home, gives me something to do LOL)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I know very little about YF...I'll tag some members who know more.

You need to secure that basking light ASAP. The clamps fail, the light falls into the substrate, and houses burn down. This has happened multiple times. We also, not long ago, had a member whose light fell and landed on her hatchling, killing it.

@ZEROPILOT
@Toddrickfl1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rig up a light stand to hang your light from. You can use wood or PVC or whatever. Then you can drape a shower curtain or a sheet of plastic over the stand and tuck it under the enclosure.

Jedispice

EVERETT, WA
I know very little about YF...I'll tag some members who know more.

You need to secure that basking light ASAP. The clamps fail, the light falls into the substrate, and houses burn down. This has happened multiple times. We also, not long ago, had a member whose light fell and landed on her hatchling, killing it.

@ZEROPILOT
@Toddrickfl1
How do you suggest the best way to do that? Thanks for the concerned info. I am here working from home thankfully, but I do have to go out sometimes LOL. I turn it off if so. But it's probably still warm. His setup is literally behind my laptop. He makes a nice coworker :) We didn't need our 8 top table for eating at anyway!

Jedispice

EVERETT, WA
How do you suggest the best way to do that?
Rig up a light stand to hang your light from. You can use wood or PVC or whatever. Then you can drape a shower curtain or a sheet of plastic over the stand and tuck it under the enclosure.
I am not quite sure what the shower curtain would be for - wouldn't it melt?
I am fine spending a little money. What about something like this? Just not sure how to attach to the stand itself

Capture.JPG

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The way to solve all your problems is to make your enclosure into a closed chamber, or buy one.

Read this post that I did a while back about closed chambers. If you decide to buy Mark's, PM him.
@Markw84

If you go toward portable greenhouses, here's a link to check. You just have to check sizes to fit your enclosure, and tortoise. They have a bar at the top that you hang your lights from.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W5AZRZQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PK7J1XZ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Jedispice

EVERETT, WA
The way to solve all your problems is to make your enclosure into a closed chamber, or buy one.

Read this post that I did a while back about closed chambers. If you decide to buy Mark's, PM him.
@Markw84

If you go toward portable greenhouses, here's a link to check. You just have to check sizes to fit your enclosure, and tortoise. They have a bar at the top that you hang your lights from.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W5AZRZQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PK7J1XZ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
FANTASTIC. Thanks!

Jedispice

EVERETT, WA
have a good mesh top for the cage now, and a stand with basking light over his flagstone. Humidity is around 80 now and stays consistent without constantly having to mist. Cool side still hovers around 70. Warm around 75-80 with 91 ish for basking.le

So I am on a couple of turtle groups on facebook too. I got turtle shamed for closing off the enclosure - stating humidity would get too high. There is a four inch gap in the back on the longest side to ensure good air flow, the rest is covered with mesh and foliage to simulate a rainforest. Picked up a longer UVB (150), which I was told at the reptile store was appropriate for such a mesh lid. It's a zoomed 48 inch one.

What do you guys do to keep the soaking water warm? It hovers around ambient temp of room but I worry that is too cold. I empty it if he doesn't look like he's in the mood to soak. He likes to hang out in a hide until breakfast. (I've tried to offer a soak before breakfast as I start the work day)

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
What do you guys do to keep the soaking water warm? It hovers around ambient temp of room but I worry that is too cold. I empty it if he doesn't look like he's in the mood to soak. He likes to hang out in a hide until breakfast. (I've tried to offer a soak before breakfast as I start the work day)
Put it under the CHE. Mine stays nice and warm.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am not quite sure what the shower curtain would be for - wouldn't it melt?
I am fine spending a little money. What about something like this? Just not sure how to attach to the stand itself

View attachment 310605
I have used the Zoo Med lamp stand. I took the hook off the end and slipped a length of PVC over the end. The PVC then supports the plastic sheet cross the top of the enclosure, and no, it doesn't touch the light and it doesn't melt.

If you're using a screen top on the aquarium, remove it. The screen filters out the UVB.