Take Heart

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
Digger's run 08.jpg Digger 17.jpg Digger 16.jpg Happy to report that after months of being picky eater and me trying everything under the sun, Digger is eating again. He was refusing just about everything I offered last spring. He was nibbling every three to five days; had this mother in a panic. I tried tricking him into eating with dicing and little success. He was outside all summer with natural plants in his habitat that he showed little interest in. He was eating the pumpkin leaves. We had a rainy and cooler than usual summer, 80 - 90's.

He has come in for the winter and I am doing regular soaks. He is under natural light and heat 75 - 94 degrees. I wake him daily just to say "good morning". He has been out and about in the house.

Finally, he is back to eating leafy greens and some vegetables. This morning, he is even interested in pellets I have soaked and added vitamins with diced squash. Chowing down.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice last spring. I was advised not to panic, they will eventually eat. I actually believe my little guy missed all the attention he receives when inside. It's like a relationship is rekindled and he is happier so eating better. Don't know if this really has any bearing on the issue but it is an odd coincidence.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I bring mine in this time of year too, so I can fatten them up for hibernation and ensure their guts are empty. Mine also pig out more when they are inside in their smaller enclosures and overall warmer, more stable temperatures.

M

Maggie Cummings

He needs a UVB light for the winter. The UVB rays will not go thru glass. Get him a UVB light for his health....He should be kept at 85 degrees with a chance to get out from under the light. They need 80 to 85 degrees to digest their food.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He might have been a long term "pet" kept in the house prior to you owning him. He feels more at home in the house under lights. Whatever his story is, I'm glad he's started eating again.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
That's a very nice enclosure, going around a tree like that. :) I love the photo of him sleeping in his dish too; classic!

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Thanks for the great advice - he does have a UV light. That is the natural light I refer to.

Yvonne, I got him from a national pet store so he was probably wild caught and we have an estimated age around 10 years when I got him.
He hides - a lot. I'm guessing this is natural. Eat and hide. Get a soak, eat and hide. Say good morning and hide. When outside, his active time was late afternoon but I am usually too busy at this time of day to give him attention. His enclosure is in my office and he has been waking up to say good morning around 9:00 am after I have been working for a couple hours. I get him something to eat and he hides. There are days when he would not come out if I did not wake him. Since early last spring when I talked to you about all this hiding, I have been waking him up every day. Now, he seems to have gotten the hang of it. On the days, he does not wake up, I wake him up. If I am out of town for the day, he may get to hide all day, but that is not often. I started out a bungling new mother of an amphibian and have learned a lot on this thread, and still coming back to learn more. On the other hand, he did not know how to act in captivity and has had to be trained. Very slowly - he is a tortoise and I have learned not to panic. It all happens very slowly. These little guys are a great example to all of us to sllllloooooooow down.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thanks, that was a lot of work - in the heat of summer. Had to dig up shrubs and start from scratch.
I feel your pain! We built our tortoise enclosure this past spring, battling the ever warming sun... We ever rototilled the entire thing, using an ancient rototiller. :confused: Next spring we'll be landscaping the front yard. Will it ever end? XD

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I feel your pain! We built our tortoise enclosure this past spring, battling the ever warming sun... We ever rototilled the entire thing, using an ancient rototiller. :confused: Next spring we'll be landscaping the front yard. Will it ever end? XD

No, it never ends. Nature keeps growing and changing. Huge project for you next year. Good luck!
I enjoy yard work and was adamant about having an attractive pen. It has grown and there have been changes since the photo was taken. We replaced the wooden stakes with rebar. I planted pumpkin this summer. Digger loved the leaves and shade but it was a ferocious grower. The crab grass also got away from me. No doubt there will be other changes next year. I want more edible "weeds". ;)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
No, it never ends. Nature keeps growing and changing. Huge project for you next year. Good luck! I enjoy yard work and was adamant about having an attractive pen. It has grown and there have been changes since the photo was taken. We replaced the wooden stakes with rebar. I planted pumpkin this summer. Digger loved the leaves and shade but it was a ferocious grower. The crab grass also got away from me. No doubt there will be other changes next year. I want more edible "weeds". ;)
Thanks! The hardest part for us will be the removal of the remaining lava rocks... the space for which will all need to be refilled with more soil. Yipes! Who would have thought those stupid rocks take up so much space? We'll definitely have a big pile of dirt delivered...

I love yard work too; I get lots of sunshine, fresh air, and exercise running around the yard! Plus the results of all our hard work in the backyard this year was definitely worthwhile! :) If we're able to get lots of milkweed and butterflies in our front yard in the next few years, all of that work will be worth it too!

Also, I concur! More edible tortoise weeds -- in my enclosure, that is!