Tameing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmt123

5 Year Member
So I have had my two eastern box turtles for about 6 months and they still don't really acknowledge me any suggestions.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Wait some more. It could take a long time in some cases.

Some of them may never really become "tame".

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I have a female carolina bauri I ended up with because someone dropped it off at the pet store....After one year, it will tolerate me being within 5 feet :)! (used to be 10.)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Same here , I have had a bauri for a year now , and she is still very shy around me! I think it just takes years for them to really trust you ...

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I believe it is the bauri in particular. My ornates have complete trust for me, and they are handled just as much as the bauri...

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Haha of course I would pick a shy species! Although ornates seem to be the spunkiest of the N. American boxies :)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Box turtles are very shy animals. Compared to toetoises they can be considered boring cuz they just sit in there shell. I've had a lot if different box turtles and I have had friendly ones and shy ones. If its a shy one likely it's never going to be trusting, but doesn't mean it's boring they just are cautious. Right now I have two and one is out going likes his head scratched the other will sit there with just her head out watching till she feels I'm not a threat. If I move to fast tho she will think twice. I use to have 30 plus at one time and I found box turtles all have there own personalities and shyness or non shyness factor.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
To me Box Turtles have the most personality. I have two Cherry Heads, and as sweet as they are, their personalities cannot compare with the boxies. Try feeding them at the same time each day, and eventually they will come out when they know the food is coming. I've had box turtles for over thirty years, and each one has a different personality. They make me laugh every time I go out in the garden. If I'm kneeling in the garden pulling out weeds, some will come running from whereever they are to see if I dug up a worm, and they will actually crawl on my hand. I have Three Toed's, Eastern's and a Gulf Coast who thinks he is the watch dog of the garden. He will run out from whereever he is hiding if he sees someone he doesn't know, and charges with his mouth open to scare them away. He does this when my Chihuahua's look into the garden too. I don't think I have ever gone out in the garden, that some didn't come running to me looking for a treat. I always have some fruit or a worm when I go out and they know it. Very comical. I could go on and on about each one's personality, and I have a thousand pictures too. Nothing like them!

022-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.