Tank

Alexisiis

Location (City and/or State)
New York
I’m glad he found you! I always feel so bad for the pet store tortoises. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve wanted to buy one just to get them out of there.
There was another that I didn’t buy. I felt so bad and I hope he got bought

Alexisiis

New York
This is a photo I JUST took of him

Attachments

• IMG_3560.jpeg
    IMG_3560.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3559.jpeg
    IMG_3559.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Alexisiis

New York
This is a photo I JUST took of him
Is he doing well? Also last question, the bugs I was talking about weren’t super tiny. But they weren’t big at all. Maybe like 1/6 of a finger nail a bit smaller than the things in this photo. So are these springtails? And either way will they infest my house?IMG_3565.png

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Is he doing well? Also last question, the bugs I was talking about weren’t super tiny. But they weren’t big at all. Maybe like 1/6 of a finger nail a bit smaller than the things in this photo. So are these springtails? And either way will they infest my house?View attachment 379829
He doesn’t look bad in the photos, I’m sure with the right lighting, heating etc he’ll be a happy guy in your care🙂

The springtails we have in our enclosure are a bit smaller than the photo too, have you noticed them jumping?

Alexisiis

New York
He doesn’t look bad in the photos, I’m sure with the right lighting, heating etc he’ll be a happy guy in your care🙂

The springtails we have in our enclosure are a bit smaller than the photo too, have you noticed them jumping?
No I haven’t. With the uvb bulb. If I can’t place it on the mesh, then I’m not sure where I would mount it. Any ideas? Also I heard really mixed reviews about mvb bulbs. I’m perfectly fine switching but some say that they’re great and some say that they’re bad. Tom said that with a fully grown adult that they could be okay, and he said that mine was an adult. So I’m kinda conflicted on if they’re a good choice. If they’re really that bad for the tortoise then I’ll definitely switch so tank doesn’t turn into a raisin

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
No I haven’t. With the uvb bulb. If I can’t place it on the mesh, then I’m not sure where I would mount it. Any ideas? Also I heard really mixed reviews about mvb bulbs. I’m perfectly fine switching but some say that they’re great and some say that they’re bad. Tom said that with a fully grown adult that they could be okay, and he said that mine was an adult. So I’m kinda conflicted on if they’re a good choice. If they’re really that bad for the tortoise then I’ll definitely switch so tank doesn’t turn into a raisin
I don’t think the mbv bulb will necessarily cause great harm or anything like that, I do think there’s a few reasons why they aren’t the most practical choice, some of the reasons could potentially have cons in terms of his needs. They’re known for either giving out too much uv into a concentrated area, or not giving enough over a large space, the fact the heat and the uv are combined can sometimes make it tricky to get the basking spot accurate along with the uvi zone below, even when achieved, with that bulb being on 12hours a day every day, the uv output will diminish much faster, but lowering it to account for this could then cause your basking temp to be too high, getting rid of a bulb still producing heat seems a waste, but would be necessary if that’s what you’re relying on for uv. Another thing is not being able to separate the timing of the uv and basking, whilst 12hours of uv in the enclosure won’t necessarily cause harm, it’s not entirely natural for them. Also because the mbv bulbs aren’t frosted like the floodlights, some say they can be too harsh like spot lights.

I can definitely think of some ways to mount the t5 uv over this kind of set up, that can also be mimicked in a size upgrade if you want some ideas😊

Alexisiis

New York
I don’t think the mbv bulb will necessarily cause great harm or anything like that, I do think there’s a few reasons why they aren’t the most practical choice, some of the reasons could potentially have cons in terms of his needs. They’re known for either giving out too much uv into a concentrated area, or not giving enough over a large space, the fact the heat and the uv are combined can sometimes make it tricky to get the basking spot accurate along with the uvi zone below, even when achieved, with that bulb being on 12hours a day every day, the uv output will diminish much faster, but lowering it to account for this could then cause your basking temp to be too high, getting rid of a bulb still producing heat seems a waste, but would be necessary if that’s what you’re relying on for uv. Another thing is not being able to separate the timing of the uv and basking, whilst 12hours of uv in the enclosure won’t necessarily cause harm, it’s not entirely natural for them. Also because the mbv bulbs aren’t frosted like the floodlights, some say they can be too harsh like spot lights.

I can definitely think of some ways to mount the t5 uv over this kind of set up, that can also be mimicked in a size upgrade if you want some ideas😊
That would be great. Thanks for everything!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
That would be great. Thanks for everything!
No problem at all😊

So to mount the uv, personally I’d get yourself a piece of timber and screw some metal hooks in, then on the opposite side mount the uv, you can then either buy two of those black hook stands that come with the type of enclosure you have, or even maybe your own out of more timber, use chains to hang from the hooks and stands for the height you need🙂hopefully the photos below help give you an idea, sorry for the crappy sketch🥲
IMG_1871.jpeg
IMG_1670.jpeg
IMG_2028.jpeg
10990EE1-9BB8-422E-9BC5-889481172C90.jpeg

Alexisiis

New York
No problem at all😊

So to mount the uv, personally I’d get yourself a piece of timber and screw some metal hooks in, then on the opposite side mount the uv, you can then either buy two of those black hook stands that come with the type of enclosure you have, or even maybe your own out of more timber, use chains to hang from the hooks and stands for the height you need🙂hopefully the photos below help give you an idea, sorry for the crappy sketch🥲
View attachment 379854
View attachment 379855
View attachment 379856
View attachment 379857
LAST QUESTION. I just soaked tank, I noticed that he had walking med through his poop in the water and looked under him and saw a spot of dried up poop. I got it off and looked at his tail. Right next to is a bit more dried up poop. But I can’t get it because he keeps on ticking his tail in the way. Any suggestions and how do I make sure this doesn’t happen again?

Alexisiis

New York
He also has 2 brown poop looking lumps on his right and left back legs. But there in the same spot on each leg. I ran his legs under warm water and used my hands(thoroughly washed them after.) but they wouldn’t come off and I didn’t want to hurt him so I left them. Is this poop or something else?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
He also has 2 brown poop looking lumps on his right and left back legs. But there in the same spot on each leg. I ran his legs under warm water and used my hands(thoroughly washed them after.) but they wouldn’t come off and I didn’t want to hurt him so I left them. Is this poop or something else?
Use a soft bristle toothbrush to give tank a gentle scrubbing.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Are the brown leg things part of his body or just poop
Yeah we’ll need to see a pic but try gently scrubbing like suggested,
LAST QUESTION. I just soaked tank, I noticed that he had walking med through his poop in the water and looked under him and saw a spot of dried up poop. I got it off and looked at his tail. Right next to is a bit more dried up poop. But I can’t get it because he keeps on ticking his tail in the way. Any suggestions and how do I make sure this doesn’t happen again?
they can messy creatures tbh, squirt(our tortoise) has walked through her poop in her enclosure a few times, which then makes it crusty come soak time😂dw it’s normal lol

Alexisiis

New York
I would have to see a picture to say for sure. I would think if it was poop it would come off with the soak in the tub.
Idk if you can see the brown lump things but these were the best photos I could get bc I had to hold tank with one hand and he was squirming

Attachments

• IMG_3568.jpeg
    IMG_3568.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3567.jpeg
    IMG_3567.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3566.jpeg
    IMG_3566.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1