Temp Control

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It is officially 114 degF here right now, with 13% humidity. Inside Chug's burrow, it's 87degF, with 51% humidity! I'm so pleased! 90% shadecloth, a sprinkler that comes on for 2 minutes every hour, a small mister under the shadecloth, and damp ground around and over his burrow. Doesn't look good, but seems to be doing the job!
983858ae714ecd90d282907fc18df236.jpg
e47af2ad46eebf07e1de00dcd52be3b7.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's great. I used to be a great one for having everything sculpted and landscaped, looking neat and pretty. Now I'm more into the tortoise's comfort and looks be damned. Yours doesn't look all that bad. At least you used the black shade cloth, and not some wild unnatural color.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's great. I used to be a great one for having everything sculpted and landscaped, looking neat and pretty. Now I'm more into the tortoise's comfort and looks be damned. Yours doesn't look all that bad. At least you used the black shade cloth, and not some wild unnatural color.
I can't really take credit for that...had it laying around from a previous project. But I'm glad it's 90%...Chug needs all the help he can get in this heat! Thanks for your kind comments!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I have the same problems with heat, here, as you know.
Anything that helps the torts is a real bonus.
And tortoises aren't very concerned with aesthetics, I think.;)
Nice job. :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
It is officially 114 degF here right now, with 13% humidity. Inside Chug's burrow, it's 87degF, with 51% humidity! I'm so pleased! 90% shadecloth, a sprinkler that comes on for 2 minutes every hour, a small mister under the shadecloth, and damp ground around and over his burrow. Doesn't look good, but seems to be doing the job!
983858ae714ecd90d282907fc18df236.jpg
e47af2ad46eebf07e1de00dcd52be3b7.jpg
Hey! I think it looks great! And helps your tort, which is the most important thing. Looking at all the rock around the burrow entrance, I'd have given up on esthetics after lifting and placing few of those. Or... we don't know how the digging of that burrow was for you! Over here digging in my Tortoise Garden requires heavy machinery with all the lime stone. Your project is truly IMPRESSIVE!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hey! I think it looks great! And helps your tort, which is the most important thing. Looking at all the rock around the burrow entrance, I'd have given up on esthetics after lifting and placing few of those. Or... we don't know how the digging of that burrow was for you! Over here digging in my Tortoise Garden requires heavy machinery with all the lime stone. Your project is truly IMPRESSIVE!
Yes, digging is not my best activity! I think I'm glad I wasn't born a tortoise! [emoji47] Rocks are plentiful here...I think they grow and multiply! Good when you need some, but not so great when digging. The very first day we started this project we thought we hit a rock...turns out it was our water into the house. Made a nice fountain about 25 feet high! Me [emoji30] , my husband [emoji35]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...Made a nice fountain about 25 feet high! Me [emoji30] , my husband [emoji35]

Me :D:D:D:p:p:p.

Only because that is exactly the kind of thing I would do!!! And then I'd have to make three trips to Home Depot to get the right parts to fix it, because of course, I couldn't possibly get all the correct parts on the first trip to HD… or the second…

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Me :D:D:D:p:p:p.

Only because that is exactly the kind of thing I would do!!! And then I'd have to make three trips to Home Depot to get the right parts to fix it, because of course, I couldn't possibly get all the correct parts on the first trip to HD… or the second…
And I live 40 miles from HD or Lowe's...fortunately the man that helped me build this had what we needed for a temporary repair. Bless him!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Yes, digging is not my best activity! I think I'm glad I wasn't born a tortoise! [emoji47] Rocks are plentiful here...I think they grow and multiply! Good when you need some, but not so great when digging. The very first day we started this project we thought we hit a rock...turns out it was our water into the house. Made a nice fountain about 25 feet high! Me [emoji30] , my husband [emoji35]
Yep! Did that one too! Husband was at work, I had a day off. I ran to the neighbor across the street who was working out of his home office and begged him to help me with this before my husband gets home, or else, I'd never hear the end to this one Good thing the neighbor was retired Airforce pilot and good with his hands/tools, and able to figure out how to shut off the main water line and how to fix the broken pipe. I too was trying to dig "past that big rock"...:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
And I live 40 miles from HD or Lowe's...fortunately the man that helped me build this had what we needed for a temporary repair. Bless him!
Bless ALL you guys who have handy skills and willingness to help your wives, girlfriends, moms, daughters and sisters to realize their homestead related visions and dreams

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Bless ALL you guys who have handy skills and willingness to help your wives, girlfriends, moms, daughters and sisters to realize their homestead related visions and dreams
I'll tell him you said that. And, he's a friend from church...spent many hours of hard labor just because my husband is unable to do it, and for free.