Temp discrepancy ?

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
A little back story. We have been battling with a couple dry start leopards. Carrot and pedialyte soaks, sun, temp, you name it we have been watching every move. Lost one and the other is hanging on but not healthy for sure. Tom's information on dry starts has been so helpful and it does give comfort, however so frustrating.

We keep looking for something we are doing wrong to explain , fully knowing the odds against the little dry starts. Determined to get them over the "death hump".

This whole time we have had multiple humidity and temp gauges in their habitat. Holding between 80-100F and 70-90 humidity. Never using a temp gun. We felt that was the last piece that we hadn't tried.

Now using the temp gun, as of yesterday, trying multiple attempts we have almost a ten degree temp difference than our Jump Start and about a six degree from the other.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420389653.965491.jpg

Has anyone else experienced this much of a difference?

Thanks for your input in advance,
Katie

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
The ambient temperature is higher then the substrate temp for sure. I use both, not jumpstart brand, and the further up the probe is in the enclosure the bigger the difference usually. Is your probe down close to the substrate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not familiar with that brand of thermostat, but you can never go by that. You need multiple temperature measuring devices. Something with a remote probe that you can move all around the enclosure is best, and a temp gun is a good way to check surface temps too.

I like the wireless ones that you can find at Lowes for about $20. Wired ones work fine too, but you'll need to watch out that the tortoise doesn't get tangled or try to eat the cord.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
The ambient temperature is higher then the substrate temp for sure. I use both, not jumpstart brand, and the further up the probe is in the enclosure the bigger the difference usually. Is your probe down close to the substrate?

It's approximately an inch up from the substrate. Do you think it would vary that much?

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
I'm not familiar with that brand of thermostat, but you can never go by that. You need multiple temperature measuring devices. Something with a remote probe that you can move all around the enclosure is best, and a temp gun is a good way to check surface temps too.

I like the wireless ones that you can find at Lowes for about $20. Wired ones work fine too, but you'll need to watch out that the tortoise doesn't get tangled or try to eat the cord.

The other temp/humidity gauge is a battery operated version that we put in a corner.

The remote has been set at 85, how high should I increase knowing the discrepancy?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The other temp/humidity gauge is a battery operated version that we put in a corner.

The remote has been set at 85, how high should I increase knowing the discrepancy?

I would ignore the number on the "dial" and instead simply go up or down, depending on the readings you get from your thermometers that are placed in the areas where the tortoise actually spend his time.

Seldom do the temps on cheap devices like our thermostats actually represent the real temperatures at tortoise level. I'm experimenting with some more expensive thermostats and those are closer, but even still, I go by my thermometers and simply adjust the thermostat up or down.

I have never heard of the brand you are using. Is it possible that it does not maintain the temperatures within a narrow enough range?

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
I would ignore the number on the "dial" and instead simply go up or down, depending on the readings you get from your thermometers that are placed in the areas where the tortoise actually spend his time.

Seldom do the temps on cheap devices like our thermostats actually represent the real temperatures at tortoise level. I'm experimenting with some more expensive thermostats and those are closer, but even still, I go by my thermometers and simply adjust the thermostat up or down.

I have never heard of the brand you are using. Is it possible that it does not maintain the temperatures within a narrow enough range?

Ok, we will make those adjustments. Thanks so much! It was good meeting you in Phoenix! It's always nice putting a face with the name! I wish we were able to have attended the conference. Kasidee and I were meeting Will to pick up a gorgeous hatchling! Which is just growing like crazy!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, we will make those adjustments. Thanks so much! It was good meeting you in Phoenix! It's always nice putting a face with the name! I wish we were able to have attended the conference. Kasidee and I were meeting Will to pick up a gorgeous hatchling! Which is just growing like crazy!

Ahh, I remember. Will starts them right. I'm not surprised your tortoise is thriving. Congrats on a wise choice. :)