Temp Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

travisgn

5 Year Member
I've seen a lot of people recommend the PE1 IR thermometer/temp gun. Why? Does anyone use anything else?

I was looking at Home Depot, here are a couple they have.
Ryobi Temp Gun
General Tools Temp Gun

Both have distance to spot ratio of 8:1 (better than the PE2), laser guide, and use a standard 9V battery. The manual for the General Tools one says it has an accuracy of +/- 2 degrees F, the Ryobi doesn't say. Unless you're concerned about portability, these seem as good or better than the PE1, and possibly even the PE2. Any thoughts? Any other variables I haven't considered/am not aware of?

Thanks,
Travis

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The Pro-exotics models seem to be readily available on pet web sites, at reptile shows and in pet stores.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the two models you mentioned. I had other types before I got my PE1. They all worked. My first one was meant to measure the temp near the glow plug on a R/C car engine, but it worked great for measuring tortoise temps.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
The nice thing about the PE1 is that it's so small, you can leave it in your pocket if you need it on and off through the day. That's what I wanted in a temp gun, so it works nicely in that way.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I have the PE2 and really like it. With that said, I think most would do fine as long as your happy with it.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the input. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to others.

I'm 99% sure I'm going with this one.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I go for cheap and easy to use (like Harbor Freight). I do not need 0.002% tolerance for monitoring the habitat- a few degree +/- range is good enough.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think thats overkill and larger size than I'd personally want, but will definitely do the job (I like the PE1). Good discussion! Haven't seen this before.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Yeah, portability seems to be a big plus for a lot of people. The main thing I don't like about the PE1 is the 1:1 distance to spot ratio. I may never need to read temps a great distance away, but I'd like to have the option.

I tend to look at a product and say heck, if I'm already spending $30, why not spend another $15-20 for this other, better model? I typically end up with nice things, but at great personal expense, when you add it all up. Ah well, that's my curse.

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
NC
I have an old Radioshack temp gun that I have been using for almost 8 years and it is still going strong. It's just too bad they dont carry it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.