Temp sexing RTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I bought a Hovabator on Craigslist for $20. :) The seller was super creepy, had 10+ dogs and 20+ cats (and the smell in the house to go with it), along with a whole menagerie of reptiles in dirty cages... but the incubator was in great shape, and the price was right.

Now my female RTs just need to start laying eggs!

After doing a bunch of reading, I THINK I have things figured out, but please do correct me if I have things set up wrong.

This incubator has the dial-kind of thermostat, and I ran it for 3 days to figure out the perfect setting. I placed 2 bowls of water in there, as well as a digital thermometer probe that has a max/min record.

I finally found the 'sweet spot' on the thermostat where the temps are usually around 87-88, and every now and then creep to 90.5 when the heater clicks in. Is that a good range for temp sexing RTs for female?

Also, I am wondering if I can further insulate it by wrapping towels or something around the bottom and sides, (but not the top)? Or placing styrofoam pieces over the windows? It seems like a lot of heat would escape through them.

...have I mentioned that I really hope to get eggs this year?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats on the good buy. Hoping eggs for you. Now, if the conditions of the house and animals are as you say, I think you owe it to the animals to report the owner to animal control or some animal care organization in your area. Remember, the poor animals can't speak for themselves. That's what us animal lovers are here for.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I thought of the same thing, Wellington. I have already found the phone number for animal control, but wanted to wait a couple of weeks first, to make sure she can't track it back to me. She has my cell# and eMail address.

wellington said:
Congrats on the good buy. Hoping eggs for you. Now, if the conditions of the house and animals are as you say, I think you owe it to the animals to report the owner to animal control or some animal care organization in your area. Remember, the poor animals can't speak for themselves. That's what us animal lovers are here for.

Status
Not open for further replies.