Temperature extremes

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern USA
I know tht Vic Morgan, Burmese Blacks were raised outdoors in FL, and it gets hot there, but we are getting lots of heat and I am wondering what they can endure, without stress. I currently keep them indoors, except when supervised, b/c I am waiting to finish the outdoor enclosure anyway, but next year, I want them outside full-time, when the temps are warm enough. I water the enclosure daily and could use a sprinkler/ hose timer for some relief, when it is hot and there are shady areas and a wooden hide, with screen sides to permit air circulation and eliminate heat build up. Will they find cool enough micro climates on 100F days or do I need to be concerned and bring thenm indoors during these hotter spells? The are they would be housed in is 20'X21' and the growth thick. I am still adding plants for more shade, like larger hostas and broad-leaved bamboo and they already have dense weeds, colocasias, and background shade from trees in the neighbor's yard, but is that enough?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
A mud hole/soaking area in the shade will go a long way in keeping them cool. Mine are in a wooden hide in the constanst shade of a tree nearby. They don't particularly like the warmer days but they can tolerate a considerable amount of heat. Mine religiously return to the hide every day and night after they have eaten and roamed. Be sure the hide is shaded and it never hurts to spray the hide outside on those hotter than normal days.

An option is to install a thermostatically controlled mister near/over the hide. The set up is a little pricey but it will reduce temps by 10 to 20 degrees depending upon the humidity.

HTH,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have any Manouria for the exact reason you are talking about. I want to get some, but not until after I put in a large insulated shed with A/C. I've studied up on them a lot over the last couple of years and you are right to be cautious. Yvonne told us about transporting one in the back of an open pick-up on an 80 degree day. Apparently it was overcome by heat in the 15 minute drive in the sun. I hope I'm relating the details correctly, but what I'm saying is that, when I get mine they will go inside when the temp starts creeping up over the low 90's, even with misters and sprinklers.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
This Summer in Northern Ohio is one of the most horrific I can recall. I say that because I hate the heat, and it's been in the 90's for the past month. When it's like this mine have been coming out first thing in the morning and I don't see them again for the rest of the day until the next morning.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
My outdoor enclosure in in an area that thankfull has areas that stay pretty shaded, as well as areas that get full sun and a few that get only afternoon sun. I just worry that ambient temps in the shade, may still be to high. I think I am going to give it a go next year. By then, I will have secured the perimeter, installed some bamboo and other shade plants, as well as getting a lead free garden hose to use in conjunction with a hose timer. During the hottest months, I can have the sprinkler come on for just a minute or so to lower the temps and keep the shady microclimates cool enough for them. I just didn't have the time or money to get everything the way I wanted it to be in the enclosure this year, but thankfully I have many years to worry about outdoor digs for them, b/c they are only on thier second year, so do fine in an indoor environment, with some time outdoors and lots of home-grown fare. I do provide UVB, via a zoomed flourescent bulb, so that are getting some UVB as well. It's supposed to be 103F here in central PA tomorrow....YIKES!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The weather here in the Central Calif Valley is always in the 90's and frequently jumps up into the low 100's for several days in a row. This is a picture of the mulberry tree that my Manouria live under:

mulberrytree.jpg

Their heated shed is inside the lattice house. You can barely make out a round, black tub in front of the lattice...that's where Emmie lives. I think she's going on two years of age. I have T-posts all along the back side of the yard with drip pipe on them. I've used the sprinkler-type emitters instead of the drip emitters. They put out a 5' circle of very fine water spray. But I really didn't need it because the tree is plenty cool enough. Its a great place to cool down on a hot summer day.

Status
Not open for further replies.