temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

natty01

5 Year Member
hi

what is the best temperature for russian tortoises basking spot. ive seen everything from 80f to 100f.

currently the basking spot is about 88f does it need to be hotter ? if so why ?
thanks.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
i keep my redfoots at 35*C [95] and the air temp about 88* because....just...because....it need theses temps to digest its food if it is not warm enough your tort will not be able to digest there food properly and that will be a problem....

natty01

5 Year Member
mine are russians , does that make a difference ?

tyler0912 said:
i keep my redfoots at 35*C [95] and the air temp about 88* because....just...because....it need theses temps to digest its food if it is not warm enough your tort will not be able to digest there food properly and that will be a problem....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
yes it does, I can't help because my russians are outside, but 100 sounds high to me.

natty01

5 Year Member
thanks. im going to build a little soil hill under the basking lamp so they are a bit nearer to it so its hotter.

tyler0912 said:
yes it does make a difference but your temp shout range from about....90-95*

natty01

5 Year Member
ok this is now making me officially crazy. i cannot get the temp to 90f ive built a mountain under the lamp , looks like mount everest. i figure since russians apparantly like to dig and climb they wont mind a mile hike upwards to get to there basking spot ? i think the damp soil is bringing the temperature down , maybe once it dries out the temperature will go up enough. i really cant build the mountain any higher because according to the bulb booklet they have to be a minimum of 8 inches from the bulb.
ive put them out side while the suns out so i can leave the thermometer in the basking spot . can anyone reccomend a thermometer that gives a quick reading? mine takes ages to go up.

natty01 said:
thanks. im going to build a little soil hill under the basking lamp so they are a bit nearer to it so its hotter.

tyler0912 said:
yes it does make a difference but your temp shout range from about....90-95*

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I keep my ambient temps in the 70s F (occasionally climbs up into the low- to mid-80s in the summertime), and the hot spot at 95 F (35 C).

Status
Not open for further replies.