What is the correct temperature?

AmyLou

5 Year Member
I was just wondering how hot the basking area in a horsefield's table should be? I have a 60w bulb (Basking spot lamp) but am unsure of the correct temperature it should be at. I don't know whether to move it away or closer to him. Any advice would be appreciated, thankyou:D

AmyLou

5 Year Member
Ok, thankyou very much:)
I have him in a table and aside from the basking light does he need a UVB light also?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If he gets outside for regular sunshine then no, he does not need artificial indoor UV. If this tortoise is indoors most of the time, then yes, you need a UV source. I prefer mercury vapor bulbs of long florescent tubes. Don't use the coil type cfl UV bulbs as those sometimes damage reptile eyes.

AmyLou

5 Year Member
Ok, he will be inside most of the time until the summer then he will mostly outside in the day. Until I get a UVB light will he be ok without one?
And do the lights need to be on constantly because I have read you can have them on say 7am-10pm and then turn them off.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
AmyLou said:
Ok, he will be inside most of the time until the summer then he will mostly outside in the day. Until I get a UVB light will he be ok without one?
And do the lights need to be on constantly because I have read you can have them on say 7am-10pm and then turn them off.

I have mine on a timer to go on at 7am & off at 10pm. I got the timer powerstrip at Lowes. You do want a UVB Light. Something like this Power Sun to provide heat & UV in the same bulb are great.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

AmyLou

5 Year Member
I have purchased a 60watt basking spot lamp and was going to get a separate UVB Florescent tube. Will I still need this basking bulb if the uvb also provides heat?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
AmyLou said:
I have purchased a 60watt basking spot lamp and was going to get a separate UVB Florescent tube. Will I still need this basking bulb if the uvb also provides heat?

"Spot" bulbs are not good. The concentrate the heat in too small an area and can cause desiccation or damage to the carapace. Use a flood or regular round bulb. Adjust the height of the fixture to get the temperature under it around 100.

Mercury vapor bulbs give you heat, light and UV all in one bulb. Flourescent tube UV bulbs give light and UV but no heat. So if you use a florescent tube, you will also need a basking bulb.

Your tortoise can go several weeks with no UV and he will be fine, but do you know when the last time he got UV was?

AmyLou

5 Year Member
I purchased him from his previous owners and he had a UVB light in his enclosure there so it was about 2 days ago.

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum

I purchased him from his previous owners and he had a UVB light in his enclosure there so it was about 2 days ago.