Temporary Home for my Russian...

rubyslippers89

Location (City and/or State)
NW Georgia
I am a first time tortoise owner here and am finding this forum a great source of information, so thanks everyone in advance for helping me out with all my questions! For reference, I have an adult Russian female tortoise, about 5 1/4 inches long.

I have two questions:

1. What kind of carrier do you take your tortoise to the vet in? I obviously don't want to stress her out too much just before she gets checked by the vet, but I've got to get her there somehow. The closest vet that sees tortoises is about 45 minutes away, so there's something of a substantial car ride to and from, plus the waiting room and the actual exam.

2. I am going on vacation for a week in about 6 weeks time and my mother is going to take Anastasia (the tortoise) for the time I'm gone--what kind of enclosure could I set up temporarily for her there? Obviously, I don't mind moving the heat lamp/UV light, and I can put in some of her stuff (hides, food bowl, basking rock, etc.), but can I just get a plastic bin and add some substrate? She usually lives in an appropriate 4'x8' table enclosure with some regular outside time in another pen, but my mother is doing me a favor and doesn't have the space for the whole set up, even temporarily. How big of a bin is acceptable for a week-long stay?

Thanks for all your help!!

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
1. Dark colored Rubbermaid tote/container with lid or a large cement mixing tray. Minimal side air holes on the tote are optional depending on the duration of the trip. Extra newspapers and or towels to be used as temporary substrate. Garbage bag to put soiled substrate in. The rubbermaid tote/container would be the better choice in my opinion.

2. How far is the distance between your mother's home and yours? Is it possible for her to make 2-3 trips to your home during that week to check on your tortoise?

A healthy Adult Russian can live a week without feedings and or soakings. Lighting fixtures should not be an issue as long as you have timers. If you do not have timers, buy them as soon as you can. Soak your tortoise prior to leaving and leave extra food for her that will not perish so easily such as succulents. 5+ nopal large pads (10+ inches) should last at least three full days. Your tortoise won't overeat.

In my opinion the process of moving your tortoise into a smaller enclosure would be more stressful than leaving her alone for a full week.