Temporary indoor Sulcata setup

Hydro

Location (City and/or State)
Midlothian, IL
So, I finally got around to building a temporary enclosure for the Sulcata Tortoise I rescued (who is nicknamed Boulder for now). I haven't added a UVB yet because I'm not sure if I need to cut a hole, install it inside, or if UVB would reach through the plastic. I also have been getting him a little UVB from the lamp I use for my psoriasis, which is hopefully enough for now, and pretty soon the weather should be warm enough for lots of outdoor time.
Anyway, what I did was take an old Christmas tree bin, cut a nice rectangle in the top- just kidding it's super rough and looks like garbage, I never tried cutting this sort of plastic before and it was awful- and added some heavy-gauge galvanized steel mesh to set the heat lamps on top of. What still need to be added: a rock for under the heat lamp, some sort of bowl or stone for the hay, small stones around the water dish, a UVB light (probably before fall since he'll be outside a lot soon). Is there anything I'm missing? Any advice on how I could improve it, or do better if I build another one- especially cutting this sort of plastic?

Attachments

• Boulder cage 1.jpg
    Boulder cage 1.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 54
  • Boulder cage 2.jpg
    Boulder cage 2.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Boulder cage 3.jpg
    Boulder cage 3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 46

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The mesh blocks a lot of the uvb. If the fixtures will sit on the plastic, then line the rim of the plastic with tinfoil. Put the light/heat over the hole and fixture sits on the tin foil. The gauge your using for temps and humidity is not reliable, need to get a better one for the next enclosure which will have to be much bigger. The size your using is what we use for hatchlings.

Hydro

Midlothian, IL
The mesh blocks a lot of the uvb. If the fixtures will sit on the plastic, then line the rim of the plastic with tinfoil. Put the light/heat over the hole and fixture sits on the tin foil. The gauge your using for temps and humidity is not reliable, need to get a better one for the next enclosure which will have to be much bigger. The size your using is what we use for hatchlings.
Well, hopefully this will basically just be a temporary thing for him to sleep in while he's inside at night over the late spring and summer. At the very least it's definitely better than a 10-gallon which is what he was in while I was building this... not the best situation but better than where he'd be if I didn't take him in. My goal is to get him rehomed before next winter, and if not I'll have some time to figure something else out before then. The thermometer at least seems accurate, I use an infrared one to double check it, unless you mean the hygrometer part in which case I have no clue how to double check that. It goes up when I add water, spray etc so I just assumed it was working properly. Any suggestions on a better hygrometer?

Edit: also by "mesh" I guess I more mean chicken wire. It's got a lot of space between. I'm still hoping I won't need to add a UV to this setup, either because I find him a forever home or I build a better setup before fall/winter.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, hopefully this will basically just be a temporary thing for him to sleep in while he's inside at night over the late spring and summer. At the very least it's definitely better than a 10-gallon which is what he was in while I was building this... not the best situation but better than where he'd be if I didn't take him in. My goal is to get him rehomed before next winter, and if not I'll have some time to figure something else out before then. The thermometer at least seems accurate, I use an infrared one to double check it, unless you mean the hygrometer part in which case I have no clue how to double check that. It goes up when I add water, spray etc so I just assumed it was working properly. Any suggestions on a better hygrometer?

Edit: also by "mesh" I guess I more mean chicken wire. It's got a lot of space between. I'm still hoping I won't need to add a UV to this setup, either because I find him a forever home or I build a better setup before fall/winter.
Wide weave like chicken wire is okay. The gauge, as long as your able to check it with something else, that's good. They just don't last and don't always read accurate. For the humidity you would just need another more liable gauge. However, if you get condensation build up then chsnces are your humidity is good. Be sure temps don't drop below 80 day and night and if the substrate is really wet, the humidity likely is good.

Hydro

Midlothian, IL
Wide weave like chicken wire is okay. The gauge, as long as your able to check it with something else, that's good. They just don't last and don't always read accurate. For the humidity you would just need another more liable gauge. However, if you get condensation build up then chsnces are your humidity is good. Be sure temps don't drop below 80 day and night and if the substrate is really wet, the humidity likely is good.

Yeah I'm really trying to keep the humidity up since he already had pyramiding when I took him in. I'm also soaking him daily as per advice from users here, haha. I'll try and grab a better hygrometer as soon as possible, I was planning on maybe getting a digital one anyway since they're easier to read. Thanks for the input!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings...you might even think about getting a second bin and fastening it so your Sully has more walking and grazing room...

Good luck!

Hydro

Midlothian, IL
Greetings...you might even think about getting a second bin and fastening it so your Sully has more walking and grazing room...

Good luck!

That's not a bad idea... how exactly do you connect them so water/humidity doesn't leak out?