Temps and uv for testudos

Smith4mj

Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
So, in trying to narrow my search for the perfect tortoise for my family, I've read so much. The trouble is that no one really agrees on anything, which leads me to believe that torts are somewhat adaptable, as long as basic needs are met.
We're certain we want one from the testudo group, mainly because when they're older, they don't need such heavy humidity as some others, and they can be happy inside more than others.
My question of the day is regarding enclosure temps. I read (written by an old timer here on the forum) that hermanns are good with 65° at night. Yes? Are there others that are fine with that? Here in bitter NH, where we've had temps 30-40 below 0 regularly every winter, and we save a few bucks by keeping the thermostat at 65, a tortoise that only needs heat for day time gains some points! Obviously, I wouldn't position the tort in a draft.

Second question: I also read that different tortoises need different strengths of uv light. Then I promptly jumped down the rabbit hole trying to learn the different ratings on various bulbs. Yikes! I need a simple answer!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
For your first question- yes, that’s fine!
For uvb, I would just rent a reptisun 10.0 tube flourescent with a T5 or T8 hood :)

Smith4mj

New Hampshire
Are Greeks or Russians ok with 65 as well? I read one entry saying Greeks like it hot.
Thanks!

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
All Hermanns, Russians, Greeks, and Marginateds can be kept quite similarly. When it comes to temps, dropping down into the sixties for babies is generally inadvisable. Once the animals get older, they can drop into the sixties, but keep in mind that a tortoise sitting out in the open without shelter in sixty degree weather is not the best circumstance. It can drop briefly into the fifties and any of these tortoises will be alright so long as they have access to an insulated shelter.

Also, just because Hermanns, Greeks, Russians, and Marginateds can tolerate lower humidity doesn't mean they should be constantly subjected to it. You should make every effort to raise the humidity within their enclosure, at least at night when they sleep, but my preference is to see it so whenever possible. I've never found tortoises of any species to do well when exposed to household air. Can they survive under such conditions? Yes, many often do. However, dehydration is a constant problem under such circumstances, and it is my belief that every effort should be made to at least allow the animal respite into a warm, humid environment should it so desire to relax in such surroundings. Cold frames, closed chambers, there are so many designs members have shown on the forum. Me personally, I've devoted a large room to my guys, but I have a bunch of them and a couple different species, so of course my setup isn't necessarily going to apply to your situation. But still, I would aim to control the environment as much as possible. Remember, a tortoise isn't like a cat or dog, it won't necessarily adapt well to conditions we find favorable.

T.G.

Greta16

Western Maine
So, in trying to narrow my search for the perfect tortoise for my family, I've read so much. The trouble is that no one really agrees on anything, which leads me to believe that torts are somewhat adaptable, as long as basic needs are met.
We're certain we want one from the testudo group, mainly because when they're older, they don't need such heavy humidity as some others, and they can be happy inside more than others.
My question of the day is regarding enclosure temps. I read (written by an old timer here on the forum) that hermanns are good with 65° at night. Yes? Are there others that are fine with that? Here in bitter NH, where we've had temps 30-40 below 0 regularly every winter, and we save a few bucks by keeping the thermostat at 65, a tortoise that only needs heat for day time gains some points! Obviously, I wouldn't position the tort in a draft.

Second question: I also read that different tortoises need different strengths of uv light. Then I promptly jumped down the rabbit hole trying to learn the different ratings on various bulbs. Yikes! I need a simple answer!
I live in Maine and turn all of Hermies lights off at Night. She's and Eastern Hermanns. A good portion of the winter my house is about 65 at night. It's fine. When the lights come on in the morning it really encourages Hermie to come on out and bask.

Smith4mj

New Hampshire
I live in Maine and turn all of Hermies lights off at Night. She's and Eastern Hermanns. A good portion of the winter my house is about 65 at night. It's fine. When the lights come on in the morning it really encourages Hermie to come on out and bask.
It's great to hear from someone who is actually doing exactly what I'm asking about! I had read that they actually need to cool down at night some. I don't want to treat my future tortoise in a way it has to tolerate. I want to do it so it gets as good as I can inside a home in the northeast. It sounds like your Hermie enjoys the daily change.
At what point do you start giving her outside time? Is there a temp you wait for, or when the mud dries up?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's great to hear from someone who is actually doing exactly what I'm asking about! I had read that they actually need to cool down at night some. I don't want to treat my future tortoise in a way it has to tolerate. I want to do it so it gets as good as I can inside a home in the northeast. It sounds like your Hermie enjoys the daily change.
At what point do you start giving her outside time? Is there a temp you wait for, or when the mud dries up?
I live in the less than perfect climate of the UK. You might find this thread that I wrote useful about coping outdoors
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/