termites

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So I have to build Dudley a new shed. I've noticed termite 'leavings' on the cement alongside his existing shed, and when I open the lid, there are 'leavings' between the lid and the walls. Since his shed, which is only a year old, is right up against my house, I have to tear it down to protect my house.

The current shed is up on cinderblocks, then plywood, then a rubber mat. Of course, I won't really know until I tear it down, but when I built this shed, there was no contact between the dirt and the wood. It was just cinderblocks.

What can I put down between the ground and the cinderblocks and the floor of the new shed to make sure that termites don't get into the new shed?

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
When I built Walkers house I had termites in mind. What I did was complete the floor base first, I built it upside down so that when finished and turned over to the right side up it had heavy(thick) PVC sheeting towards the dirt, above the PVC was a layer of 6 mil poly then treated plywood and treated 2x6 floor joist. Everything above that is just regular wood. From moist soil termites will build tunnels out of dirt to access moist wood, so having the shed raised on blocks will not always stop them, another thing that will help is having pieces of flat metal or plastic that will overhang the edges of the blocks and be angled down a little so if the termites try to build a tunnel they can't access the wood as easy, I have never seen termites go around the metal overhang but can't say they never will. Keeping the dirt under the shed as dry as possible is one of the best ways to deter termites. --- The flashing on each block may be all you need to add, to solve your problem.--- I am getting ready to jack Walkers house up so I can see under it to check the conditions, it's been 7 years since I built it and it has settled down some, may be time to raise it a little.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I use a plastic shed for my sulcata. It isn't as heat retaining, but you can spray insulation in the walls to help :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks. After reading the responses here I realized that there probably is a product designed for this purpose and I googled it. Yes, they make a stainless steel mesh cloth that you put down on top of the cement and the mesh is too small for the little buggers to get through. But with all my research, I couldn't find any place that sells it (not being a contractor myself). So next time I go into town I'll swing by Home Depot and see if they sell it. If I can't find it I'll go with the 6 mil poly. I always have that on hand for winter plant protection.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif