Terrain

Jackf22

Location (City and/or State)
Leicestershire
Any one able to point me in the right direction for what soil type/ terrain I can put down in my horse fields outdoor run and his indoor table to try and spice things up for him a little bit? Thanks!

Crush da Baum

Location (City and/or State)
Brooksville
Any one able to point me in the right direction for what soil type/ terrain I can put down in my horse fields outdoor run and his indoor table to try and spice things up for him a little bit? Thanks!
For outdoors the ground tends to work fine. For the indoors, I would recommend coco coir or cypress mulch. I like coco coir but you can get cypress mulch for cheaper. It just depends on the size of the enclosure. As far as spicing things up, you can add stones, little sticks, small logs. I have a mechanical waterfall that lights up in mine. It looks pretty cool.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Outside today I dug a hole 1 foot deep and three feet long and did a 70/30 mix of sand and the topsoil from the hole. The sand will hold the heat from the sun in the evening and they can burrow into it. It's an experiment based on a paper I read recently. Wild tortoises in Uzbekistan often bury themselves in the sandy loose soil at night. The rest of the outdoor space is just natural topsoil with patches of long grass. I will be planting some of the areas with seeds from Carolina Pet Supply. Theres also a small pile of hay that they like to burrow in, and the tortoise houses are filled with hay. It seems to make them more comfortable with the hay stuffed in the hides, they can burrow into it and have a tight fit. Indoors right now is coco coir with orchid bark on top. The straight coco coir would end up coating my tortoises and getting all over the food and in the water.