Terrarium things I should put in

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Castleton, VT
I would use that dish for his water so he can soak and just get rid of the red one

Luis Taveras0

you may consider using something else besides a tank further down the road, or putting something in place so that the little guy cant see out sometimes it stresses them out. there are tons of great ideas in the enclosure section.

i recommend a 50 gal tote with appropriate lighting to start. its inexpensive and much larger when what you currently have. you have the right idea having a hide, and a thermometer. i cant tell, but does it read humidity?
Yes my thermometer can read the humidity level

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hello Luis and welcome to the TFO! Super glad you and your box turtle are here. I agree about the care sheets, please take the time to fully learn as much as you can about box turtles and their care. They do require a bit of special needs, especially the little ones. Look forward to your turtles habitat progress and hopefully more pics to come. Good luck!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
What type of substrate is that? The pieces look too big for him.

I agree with big Charlie! Cypress isn't my favorite if that's all you have in the enclosure. I use a mixture of peat moss, organic soil, and coir for hatchlings. Just remember a rule of thumb....Happy Habitat makes a happy turtle.......if not you don't want them to show you they are not happy...it's usually by being sick. FYI

Luis Taveras0

I agree with big Charlie! Cypress isn't my favorite if that's all you have in the enclosure. I use a mixture of peat moss, organic soil, and coir for hatchlings. Just remember a rule of thumb....Happy Habitat makes a happy turtle.......if not you don't want them to show you they are not happy...it's usually by being sick. FYI
The substrate that's in there is called repti bark

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
The substrate that's in there is called repti bark

Well, I couldn't tell, looked more like cypress. Same premise holds for reptibark! Luis think of it this way....looks like you have an Eastern or 3 toed Box Turtle both can be found in woodland areas. 3 toeds can also be found in grassland prairies. What does the terrain and habitat look like for these areas? Think of it in those terms then mimic it for your enclosure. A sales clerk at your local petsmart may of told you this is good for box turtles, but I am going to tell you (no good cop here) this stuff sucks for box turtles and its expensive to boot! There is alternatives much cheaper and better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use potting soil in my baby box turtle habitats. They like to burrow down into the substrate, and repti-bark doesn't allow for that.
box turtles 7-26-16 a.jpg

Yes, it makes quite a mess in the food and water dishes, but what else do I have to do besides take care of the animals?

box turtles 7-26-16 b.jpg

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
you also still have the screen on which as yvonne mentioned filters out the uvb rays.

please, please try to take experienced owners advice, we all want to see that little one do well and live a happy healthy life

His screen won't "filter" uvb so much as block it. He does have a reflector, so he is probably gaining back what he is losing. But yes, removing that portion of the screen would improve the uvb exposure if needed. If the turtle gets outside in the sun, may be a moot point.

Get to your local store that sells gardening supplies. Dump that carpet. Instead get a brick of fine organic coco coir. To stiffen it up, you can use the other bedding in that basket thing mixed in. A young box turtle will really struggle in those conditions you have.

I also recommend getting him started on pellets. Soak them, mash them up, throw some worm pieces in them. People talk about young tortoises failing to thrive and I see it very often in hatchling box turtles. They need a great environment to thrive.

Luis Taveras0

What substrate can I get for the box turtle tommrow I'm going to Leyland to buy a substrate for him

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
DIET Box turtle hatchlings are mostly carnivorous when young, but should also be fed greens and fruit. You will likely find that these are mostly ignored until typically 6-12 months of age.

Appropriate sources of protein can include: Live worms or insects (red wigglers, chopped up nightcrawlers, small mealworms, small crickets, pillbugs, slugs), boiled eggs, boiled plain chicken, raw beefheart (but no other beef products), raw ground turkey, or even high quality natural wet cat food (in moderation). Hatchlings will be attracted to the movement of live bugs and worms.

Plant and fruit matter: Spring mix salad blend, various lettuces (no iceberg, and romaine only in moderation), raddichio, collard greens, mustard greens, kale, dandelion leaves/flowers, hibiscus leaves/flowers, grapevine leaves, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, banana, apples, cantaloupe, watermelon, pure pumpkin, squash fruit/leaves/flowers, etc.

Prepared diets such as Mazuri can also be fed in moderation, but pellets should be soaked and softened.

Using a "mash" diet a few times a week is encouraged, to help them get a variety in their diet, since they will tend to want to eat only the wiggly things. One recipe example is banana, Mazuri tortoise diet, ground turkey, and peas and carrot blend put through a food processor. You could then mix this with fresh veggies or berries or even add a few little worms in it to get their attention. You should switch your “mash” recipe up every week or so.
Protein should make up about 70-80% of the diet while young, with the remainder being leafy greens/plants, vegetables, and fruit. If you cannot get them to eat non-protein foods while young, that's ok but keep trying!

Calcium+D3 should be supplemented in very small amounts once or twice a week. You can do this by dusting the live protein with is, mixing it in the mash, or dusting it on top of food.