Terrarium things I should put in

Luis Taveras0

Is there anything else I should put in there because I just got this box turtle about 2 weeks ago

20160721_091710.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Is there anything else I should put in there because I just got this box turtle about 2 weeks ago
Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread as well as the care sheets available. Am sure there you'll find a lot of answers to your questions.:)

And a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/american-box-turtles.98/

You need to read the care sheets for box turtles. Just for starters,They need real substrate not that turf, They like to dig and bury them selves.
Those food and water dishes are hard for them to get in and out of. Take a look at that link for help.
I am going to agree. Get rid of that carpet. The water dish as well. Use that food dish as his new water dish and get a piece of slate to feed on.

What is your humidity? Unless you area is humid, I will bet it is too low.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Besides what has already been said, the screen filters out most of the beneficial UVB rays. There needs to be a hole cut for the light.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am not sure which country you live in, but many people can buy something like orchid bark or coco coir from their nearest DIY store or garden centre. Both these are good at holding water to raise humidity.

Earth from your back yard will do the job if it's clean and pesticide and herbicide free. Coco coir and orchid bark are better if you can get them though

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Coco coir works great for hatchlings like what you have, it needs to be damp as these guys dry out very easy. my suggestion is to really read those care sheets.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
you may consider using something else besides a tank further down the road, or putting something in place so that the little guy cant see out sometimes it stresses them out. there are tons of great ideas in the enclosure section.

i recommend a 50 gal tote with appropriate lighting to start. its inexpensive and much larger when what you currently have. you have the right idea having a hide, and a thermometer. i cant tell, but does it read humidity?

Luis Taveras0

Update so I went out and bought substrate for my tortoise is this good enough or should I change it around a little more?

20160725_221640.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
you want to fill the entire enclosure with substrate. you also need this to keep the humidity appropriate for your type of tortoise.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
also what are you feeding on?

where is the "food dish" from your first picture? this was more appropriate for soaking and drinking then the raised bowl you have in there now.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Not a tortoise

You need to check the care sheets in the Box Turtle section. The bottom of that tank needs to be covered with substrate. That "box turtle"needs to be able dig to bury it's self, please read those care sheets because right now that set up is bad situation

Luis Taveras0

you want to fill the entire enclosure with substrate. you also need this to keep the humidity appropriate for your type of tortoise.
also what are you feeding on?

where is the "food dish" from your first picture? this was more appropriate for soaking and drinking then the raised bowl you have in there now.

I took out the "food bowl" to replace the food

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
you also still have the screen on which as yvonne mentioned filters out the uvb rays.

please, please try to take experienced owners advice, we all want to see that little one do well and live a happy healthy life