Testudo ID Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
We received the six tortoises. See photo below. The three on the right hand side and the one on the bottom left corner, definitely appear to be Hermanns. The one on the top left hand corner and the middle left side appear to be Greeks. Can someone confirm or offer a second opinion?

Additional photos

Neltharion said:
We received the six tortoises. See photo below. The three on the right hand side and the one on the bottom left corner, definitely appear to be Hermanns. The one on the top left hand corner and the middle left side appear to be Greeks. Can someone confirm or offer a second opinion?

Additional photos

Attachments

• Tortoises.jpg
    Tortoises.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 89
  • tortoise01.jpg
    tortoise01.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 30
  • tortoise02.jpg
    tortoise02.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 25

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi neltharion:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

B K

5 Year Member
Hello I see you received my email welcome to the forum

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Oh my goodness, look how all their little heads are pointed the same direction in the first pic! How cute is that?!?!?

Welcome to the forum!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Can you post a picture of the anal scutes, A hermanns has a divided scute and the greeks do not, this is an easy way to ID them

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
bikerchicspain said:
Can you post a picture of the anal scutes, A hermanns has a divided scute and the greeks do not, this is an easy way to ID them

I had a friend take a closer look. He has Greeks and Hermanns. He pointed out the lack of spurs on the rear legs and the small 'horned' appearance on the tips of the tails. One thing he did point it, it appears that I received three males and three females. The last attachment shows what seems to be a small male on the right.

Attachments

• Tortoises01.JPG
    Tortoises01.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Tortoises02.JPG
    Tortoises02.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Tortoises03.JPG
    Tortoises03.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 24

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
bikerchicspain said:

Sorry guys got my scutes mixed up i meant the supracaudal scute is divided on a hermann :rolleyes:

I can see from the pics that they have no spurs and that the supracaudal scute is divided..

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
A divided supercaudal (some older literature does call them anal scutes so the mix up is an easy one) is not a definitive identifying feature to distinguish Hermann's from Greeks. Many Hermann's, particulary Eastern Hermann's do not have a divided supercaudal scute. Along with that, some Greeks, particularly some populations of Northern Ibera, do sometimes have a divided supercaudal scute. Although this occurance appears to be much more rare. Below is a photo of a male and female Eastern Hermann's that I have. The female, at the top of the photo does not have a divided supercaudal, while the male does. Many more of my Easterns do not have a divided supercaudal scute either.
DSC00760.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.