Testudo mix

Turtleneck123

So I got my tort testudo mix which is a mix of weeds to grow that are good for tortoises and I have a couple of questions.
1) do you have any tips on growing the seeds outdoors?
2) how long does it take for them to grow ?
3) can I feed my tort an all weed diet?
4) if so how much should I feed him ?
5) would I still need calcium supplement? ( I have the liquid kind )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
1. Till the soil and add amendments if necessary. Scatter the seeds and then scatter a 1/4 to 1/2 inch layer of soil over the seeds. Don not let the surface dry out for the first couple of weeks. Water a little every hour if you need to.
2. Varies with many factors. I usually take my first cutting in 4-6 weeks.
3. Yes if there is enough variety.
4. The Tesdudo mix is a good base, but mix in as many other things as you can find.
5. Adult male? Probably not, but it won't hurt to offer a little once a week.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You might not be aware, but, if you trim the leaves off of the plants, most of them will grow back. Giving you months of free food.
Also, some of those green leaves are attached to raddishes, carrots, turnips and the like growing underneath.
Some of them will grow to enormous size untill they get discovered.
Don't plant all the seeds at once unless it's in a huge area because that small package grows a ton of food.

Turtleneck123

You might not be aware, but, if you trim the leaves off of the plants, most of them will grow back. Giving you months of free food.
Also, some of those green leaves are attached to raddishes, carrots, turnips and the like growing underneath.
Some of them will grow to enormous size untill they get discovered.
Don't plant all the seeds at once unless it's in a huge area because that small package grows a ton of food.
1. Till the soil and add amendments if necessary. Scatter the seeds and then scatter a 1/4 to 1/2 inch layer of soil over the seeds. Don not let the surface dry out for the first couple of weeks. Water a little every hour if you need to.
4. The Tesdudo mix is a good base, but mix in as many other things as you can find.
Thank you guys! Really helpful :)

Turtleneck123

How much soil do I need at the bottom since I'm going to be growing them in pots

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would say at least 6 inches. You can use window box type planters, or even shallow plastic bins or cat litter boxes with holes cut in the bottom.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It's mentioned above but do spread the seeds thinly; if you get too many seeds crowded together, some of the plant types that take longer to sprout may get squeezed out by the early sprouting types (clover and radish).

Alternatively, you can thin the sprouts after they start growing; perhaps an inch between sprouts.

That package really is huge!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
FYI, these grew like weeds for me! ;) Very crazy and difficult to control in my outdoor garden. You shouldn't have much trouble getting them to sprout! :D

Melanie S.

I just use regular organic soil for mine, I don't know exactly what perlite is, but if it's already in the soil, i'm pretty sure it'll be fine.
I don't think you'll have any trouble growing them, by the way, as long as they stay watered, they'll grow like crazy!!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you for helpful responses :) also is it ok to use organic soil with perlite in it ?
Do not use soil with perlite in it. Just get regular go soil with no fertilizers or pesticides etc. in it. I've gotten mine from Home Depot but I'm sure other places have it like Lowes or Ace Hardware.

Turtleneck123

Do not use soil with perlite in it. Just get regular go soil with no fertilizers or pesticides etc. in it. I've gotten mine from Home Depot but I'm sure other places have it like Lowes or Ace Hardware.
The soil I am using is organic.. It just contains the white little balls in it . Can u tell me why it's bad? I heard that tortoises can't eat it but why can't I grow his weeds in it ?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I have found issues with some of the dirt at our store of choice: Lowe's (mostly because it's conveniently located across the road from our house). First, I tried to ask the employees there which bag was "just plain dirt." I explained that it couldn't contain any perlite or "Miracle Grow" kind of chemicals. I forced out the word "organic," which stung a little since, c'mon, it's dirt.... I got some strange looks. Anyway, be careful when you're evaluating the options at the store! Have a space set up to toss out any soil that you don't trust as safe for the tort enclosure.
The soil I am using is organic.. It just contains the white little balls in it . Can u tell me why it's bad? I heard that tortoises can't eat it but why can't I grow his weeds in it ?
The white balls should be perlite, which is a porous material that helps to drain the water from the soil for potted plants. If the tortoise accidentally ingests one, s/he can choke or the perlite can become logged in its system, causing health problems.