Testudo Mix

Mazing

Location (City and/or State)
United States
I've recently purchased this tortoise weed mix from tortoise supply and was wondering if anyone has any experience with growing this particular mix? I've never planted in my life so if anyone can give me suggestions or directions on how to grow these seeds sucessfully, that'd be appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've used it for years now. Done a couple of threads on it. It is great stuff.

Churn up your soil and add any needed amendments, then smooth it out with a sand rake. Scatter the seeds and then cover with another 1/4 to 1/2 inch of soil and then water water water. Do not let the upper layer of soil dry out during germination or during the early sprouting phase. In my hot dry climate I have to sprinkle every hour sometimes on hot days. I water heavily at night and each morning, then water as needed all day. The first stuff will sprout in a day or two, but other stuff will keep coming even after a week or two. Keep it wet for the first few weeks.

Once the stuff is about a foot tall, I start grabbing handfuls and cutting it off with scissors to feed to the tortoises. It just keeps growing and growing.

Mazing

United States
I've used it for years now. Done a couple of threads on it. It is great stuff.

Churn up your soil and add any needed amendments, then smooth it out with a sand rake. Scatter the seeds and then cover with another 1/4 to 1/2 inch of soil and then water water water. Do not let the upper layer of soil dry out during germination or during the early sprouting phase. In my hot dry climate I have to sprinkle every hour sometimes on hot days. I water heavily at night and each morning, then water as needed all day. The first stuff will sprout in a day or two, but other stuff will keep coming even after a week or two. Keep it wet for the first few weeks.

Once the stuff is about a foot tall, I start grabbing handfuls and cutting it off with scissors to feed to the tortoises. It just keeps growing and growing.
Thanks! Really appreciate it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

margosha

Cleveland, OH
I've been growing this indoors in a window planter box, and it's doing well, but how will I know when it's ready for feeding? Is there a maturity the plants need to reach before they're ready for cutting?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been growing this indoors in a window planter box, and it's doing well, but how will I know when it's ready for feeding? Is there a maturity the plants need to reach before they're ready for cutting?
I usually let it get to about 10-12" high before my first cutting. Then it just keeps growing back again and again.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
I usually let it get to about 10-12" high before my first cutting. Then it just keeps growing back again and again.

Thanks! I also ordered the Russian Tortoise Seed Mix from carolinapetsupply.com. I haven't gotten it yet, but have you tried this mix as well? It's probably basically the same mix of seeds, but it can't hurt to have a few planters full!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks! I also ordered the Russian Tortoise Seed Mix from carolinapetsupply.com. I haven't gotten it yet, but have you tried this mix as well? It's probably basically the same mix of seeds, but it can't hurt to have a few planters full!
I have not tried that one yet. Let us know how it compares!