Texas tortoise

ctiggle

Location (City and/or State)
Corpus christi tx
So I almost ran this tortoise over a couple weeks ago and I found the owner of it but apparently they just let it go since it was to much trouble to care for it so they asked me to keep it me not knowing what to say but an animal lover said ok and took it home well low and behold it's illegal to have it I've called any and everyone and finally parks and wildlife called back but they told me just to let him loose at a park I took him yesterday and didn't feel comfortable doing g that so now what to do

Attachments

• 20230402_140922.jpg
    20230402_140922.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The forum is not supposed to condone or advise you to do something illegal, so you have to use your own judgement.

If it were me and I wanted it I'd keep it. Reason being, unless the tortoise is released back where he came from (HIS original territory, he will spend all his time trying to get back 'home.' This may entail crossing busy streets and other bad and dangerous places. It may even mean trying to get back to the folks who released it, if he'd been in their care a long time.

If you're not interested in keeping it try to find a rescue to take it.

If you decide to keep it we'll help you with care advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you do a Google search for reptile rescues near corpus cristie, tx (spelling??) a couple come up in the answer.

ctiggle

Corpus christi tx
I am going to keep it just don't think it be fair to release him into the wild where he knows nothing I believe he's been born and raised in captivity and won't survive the outdoors only place I would surrender him to would probably be like an aquarium where he'd be safe

Ergotaxon

Portland, TX
I live in Portland, TX, which is very close to Corpus Christi. I see them in this area fairly often. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. They are beautiful tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am going to keep it just don't think it be fair to release him into the wild where he knows nothing I believe he's been born and raised in captivity and won't survive the outdoors only place I would surrender him to would probably be like an aquarium where he'd be safe
Here is some care info. There is a care sheet for your temperate species toward the bottom.

A tortoise that has been in captivity should NEVER be released into the wild. This could literally kill the entire species if the wrong pathogen were introduced to the wild population. Whoever told you to do that is a moron, should be fired immediately, and never allowed to work with animals again.