THE ANT WARS

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
I need help, I went out to check up on my tort, when these little buggers appeard. I've never seen them and they aren't like the local ants and they try to bite, it seems the local colony and this new one is fighting, any advice?
(To repel the local one, I tried using cinnamon, vinegar with and without bakingpowder and dish washing soap, it was far from the habitats edge and the tort can't reach it)20211130_155245_004.jpg20211130_155428_009.jpg
The local ones20211130_155255_001.jpg
Does anyone know what type it is?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have read, but don't know how well it works. Diatomaceous Earth or Oatmeal. Maybe even ant traps.
If they are like the USA fire ants, you want to keep them away from your tort.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
For sure, the native ants have soldiers that don't bite, they only bite when they are hunting like beetle larva, but I only saw soldiers attacking these invaders, and I know ants are... persistant, so it is important to eradicate them. Thanks for the tips!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
For sure, the native ants have soldiers that don't bite, they only bite when they are hunting like beetle larva, but I only saw soldiers attacking these invaders, and I know ants are... persistant, so it is important to eradicate them. Thanks for the tips!
I am not sure if you can find this in SA...I have used Diatomaceous Earth and found the ants won't cross it. But it doesn't kill the ants just keeps them away from your tortoise...

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
"I have used Diatomaceous Earth and found the ants won't cross it. But it doesn't kill the ants just keeps them away from your tortoise..."

I just learned my "new thing for the day"Thanks Mags. If this is so, I would suggest using it to slowly push the ant out of the concerned area.

.....however I have found that an excellent method is to "neutron bomb" them.

Mods, if you deem this as dangerous, remove the comment. My goal is the safe keeping and thriving of our little friends.............I won't be affected, promise!

The Neutron bomb was the one that was supposed to kill via radiation, leaving building intact and the half-life was so low, the fallout would be gone very, very quickly.....leaving the target area inhabitable....lovely right?

Permethrin is the active ingredient in the Thermacell brand of butane-fired bug repellant. It works so well that even if you live on the edge of a creek, you won't have any mosquitoes within 15 ft of the Therm. It can be purchased 8oz on Amazon for 10 bucks, prob cheaper other places but I'm lazy.

Depending on the size of the enclosure,remove all living animals, take one drop on a cardboard or other pad and set the pad into the closed enclosure. Wait an hour, remove pad, let sit another hour, then fan lightly to remove any remaining fumes.......the fumes kill insects but nothing else, nor do the fumes adhere to plants, glass or other stuff, once you air it out, it's clean....and you'll find the bugs gone, dead or driven underground for weeks.

Remember not to spill even a single drop of this into your torts home, if you do, remove all material that could have touched it! This is killing via fumes alone.

I have used this method on two occasions with my little box turtle with no obvious effects and had used it prior to control bugs in another environment that housed rabbits with no ill effects.

good luck!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Diatomaceous earth will kill insects...as long as it stays dry and powdery. The tiny diatom bodies are sharp and will cut insect body cells, causing dehydration and death. It will be completely non-harmful to your torts, so you can use it liberally in and around enclosures.

Argentine ants are not known to bite without serious provocation...perhaps you have fire ants (Solenopsis geminata).

See if there is a local governing board where you can report this sighting...fire ants are a serious menace, and when you start seeing them, they are quite well-established in the area.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Do you have them in KwaZulu Natal? I only know of bullet ants in the Drakensberg. I suspect these are fire ants because they are relentless, and attack in groups

Tortobsessed

Ohio
I agree with the recommendation of DE. If you pour boiling water (~2-3 gallons) down the colony and add DE around it it should make that entrance unusable, so they don't bother your tortoise. This likely wouldn't kill them but if you see any more pop up you can use the same treatment and eventually you might be able to kill them.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Diatomaceous Earth is a good deterrent but I believe it has to be the food grade DE to be safe for your tort.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Good news everyone, my grandmother suggested that I mix citrus fruit peels and vinegar and place it in a closed jar. While waiting for the other stuff, I did it and it worked like a charm! The local colony is still quite active and patrolling, I will keep an eye out and every hour or so check up on Zvezda. It also rained for a few days straight so it seems the newer areas of the fire ant colony drowned