The Bachelor: Box Turtle Edition

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I have had my Male Eastern Box Turtle, Clem, for a few years now. He is colorful and active. I am looking to find him a mate, or better yet, a pair of mates this spring. I have read/heard that a 2 female to 1 male ratio helps take the stress off a line female. I plan to extend his already large outdoor enclosure (double it in fact). I also plan to have a partition that i can add/remove at will. This way i can isolate the females some of the time. Finding females however, that’s the real trick. Being in Nj, the law states that i can keep as many eastern box turtles as i want. I can buy them. I can theoretically sell them (but i’m not). However i cannot buy them from a seller within NJ. Online auctions like Kingsnake often have easterns pop up at outrageous prices. Many times they are either long term captive or even recently wild caught. Most posts seem pretty suspect or outright shady. Does anyone know of reputable breeders, outside of NJ where i can adopt/purchase an (or two) adult female eastern box turtles?
IMG_3315.jpgIMG_3310.jpgIMG_3307.jpgIMG_3301.jpgIMG_3231.jpg

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
very nice looking turtle , I believe to sell them you'd need a commercial permit as opposed to a hobbyist permit to just own them.........

I believe you are correct. I just meant that it is legal as long as you obtain the permit. I have no intention of selling them anyway.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Honestly, in most cases a reputable breeder will still charge a pretty penny for a captive bred female adult or a proven LTC. There are some reputable breeders on TFO but whether any of them are ready to thin out the herd for a small price is beyond me. If You don’t want to invest a lot of many in a couple female EBTs then either place an ad in Craigslist, watch for ads on there, watch for rehome threads on here, place a wanted thread on here, Facebook Box Turtles member sites, local reptile shows, etc. This process may take some time before you find what your looking for but it’s one way for not paying a lot up front. I’ve met some absolutely amazing people on this site and received some amazing turtles by building lasting friendships with them over time. However, it may of took a year or two years before I sent a turtle or received a turtle. Don’t rush the process and 1 or 2 will come your way with minimal cost. It just might not be as soon as you like unless your willing to pay;) just a suggestion, when you add on to your enclosure make sure to add plenty of full plant cover.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have had my Male Eastern Box Turtle, Clem, for a few years now. He is colorful and active. I am looking to find him a mate, or better yet, a pair of mates this spring. I have read/heard that a 2 female to 1 male ratio helps take the stress off a line female. I plan to extend his already large outdoor enclosure (double it in fact). I also plan to have a partition that i can add/remove at will. This way i can isolate the females some of the time. Finding females however, that’s the real trick. Being in Nj, the law states that i can keep as many eastern box turtles as i want. I can buy them. I can theoretically sell them (but i’m not). However i cannot buy them from a seller within NJ. Online auctions like Kingsnake often have easterns pop up at outrageous prices. Many times they are either long term captive or even recently wild caught. Most posts seem pretty suspect or outright shady. Does anyone know of reputable breeders, outside of NJ where i can adopt/purchase an (or two) adult female eastern box turtles?
View attachment 236619View attachment 236620View attachment 236621View attachment 236622View attachment 236623

He’s SUCH a handsome fellow![emoji173]️
He’ll make beautiful babies!