The dangers of too deep water bowls. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banshee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
I know this is common knowledge for experienced keepers, but there are new people who could learn from the tragedy I woke up to today.

My husband left a few hours ago and I had him switch on my Powersun and switch off my night heater for little Gamera, the Hermanns. I woke up a few minutes ago and went to check on her (I had rearranged her enclosure last night and wanted to see how she was adapting). I wasn't ready for what I found.

She was upside down in her water bowl. There was nothing I could do to help her.

I thought I did the right thing by getting her a Flukers Groovy Jacuzzi, a small water bowl that has a wide lip and steps for her to get in and out on her own. It was perfect. I saw her use it numerous times to soak herself and drink. However, I got sloppy and filled it up a little too much. She must have walked along the edge and flipped in and, because it was too deep, couldn't raise her head about the water. It also appeared to be slightly too narrow for her to be able to flip back over.

As I said, for you experienced keepers, this is not new. However, for all of the newbies....

Shallow water bowls are better than deep, even if you think it's a safe, fool proof bowl.

RIP Gamera. I feel like the worst owner ever. I had her for TWO WEEKS. I can't stop sobbing, even as I type this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ugh... What a horrible thing to have to type, but hopefully others will learn from your tragedy. So sorry.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
so sorry to hear of your loss, I to have had my baby red turn over in plant
saucer that I use for water dish lucky for us we got there in time.

Random Dude

10 Year Member!
Houston, TX
Hey I feel your pain,
Last November I had my cherry head flip over in his water bowl when I was gone for the day. It is sad and heartbreaking when something like this happens. But don’t be too hard on yourself it sounds like you try to give him a good home and that’s important.

Banshee

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Thank you all for your comments. I just cleaned out the enclosure and wrapped her up for burial. It's ironic, I was planning on cleaning out the enclosure today any way to add a liner to the bottom of it.

I know I want to get another tortoise. What do you think is the appropriate waiting period?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
The wait period to get a newone is up to you, if you feel that it's best to get another one right away then do it. If you feel like its best to wait a little while then thats okay as well...

ChessieW

5 Year Member
Oh dear, I am so sorry for your loss. She was such a beautiful tort.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Banshee said:
Thank you all for your comments. I just cleaned out the enclosure and wrapped her up for burial. It's ironic, I was planning on cleaning out the enclosure today any way to add a liner to the bottom of it.

I know I want to get another tortoise. What do you think is the appropriate waiting period?

I'm so sorry this happened. Please don't beat yourself up, there's no way to make an enclosure 100% safe. I am in mourning too, don't think of getting a new tortoise as "replacement," just think that there are many tortoises out there that could use a good home, so you'd be doing them a favor.

HtVic

5 Year Member
I am so sorry.

I thought you had water bowl narrow enough for Gamera to walk in and out
how can he drown?

Status
Not open for further replies.