The dogs you don't forget

SuzanneZ

Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown
The word was, long ago, that we are allowed one great dog in our lives. Period. I've had two. Both females. Misha, an Australian shepherd, 1980-86, and Chance, a Smooth collie, 1993-2006. Both worked with me as partners and basically read my mind as to what I wanted. I can't talk about them much to this day. My friends.

I still keep dogs for companionship and to hear for me and to watch out for me. I have two gray male cats to tease and four little chickens. And one little Russian who hates soaks and sunnings. He forgives me after a while. I can tell because when I speak to him he doesn't run.

Tell me about yours.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The word was, long ago, that we are allowed one great dog in our lives. Period. I've had two. Both females. Misha, an Australian shepherd, 1980-86, and Chance, a Smooth collie, 1993-2006. Both worked with me as partners and basically read my mind as to what I wanted. I can't talk about them much to this day. My friends.

I still keep dogs for companionship and to hear for me and to watch out for me. I have two gray male cats to tease and four little chickens. And one little Russian who hates soaks and sunnings. He forgives me after a while. I can tell because when I speak to him he doesn't run.

Tell me about yours.
What??? YOU have 2 gray cats?...Both my senior kitties died this year, 2 weeks ago for my Smokey. I have 2 gray kittens to help me grieving for both... DSCN1883.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Tell me about yours.
Don't know who said that, but oh so wrong. I have had two great dogs so far. However, all my dogs have been fantastic and I have had many. Not a bad one thru all my years. Now, not to say they didn't irritate me here and there, but I would have them all, all over again.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My great dog was a cocker spaniel named Pickles. We grew up together, from I was 3 and he was a puppy. He died in my arms when he was 15 and I was 18. Can't even begin to say. Have had numerous precious dogs and cats since then.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I love all my dogs, but Sylvester was truly special. He will always be my heart dog. I lost him at 10 to CHF and I feel robbed.

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2260.jpeg
    IMG_2260.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4639.jpeg
    IMG_4639.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
😢 🙂 ❤️
My great dog was a cocker spaniel named Pickles. We grew up together, from I was 3 and he was a puppy. He died in my arms when he was 15 and I was 18. Can't even begin to say. Have had numerous precious dogs and cats since the

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Where I live, my cats are gray and your cats are blue.
That's funny. A blue cat here is actually different from gray. I had a blue Persian years ago and there is a difference. Your cats are tabby for sure, at least here.
So what do you call a cat that is actually gray?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Not to be too pedantic, but tabby is a coat pattern and can apply to any color (orange tabby, grey tabby, brown tabby, etc). Mackerel tabby are stripes, Classic tabby are circles, agouti tabby is where each hair is striped. Grey and blue are on a spectrum of shading. Certain breeds - will use abyssians and Somalis of which I am most familiar, come in certain colors and then a “dilute“ version. So a Red or Ruddy (which is black and brown agouti tabby pattern), and then add a diluted gene on that and you get the other two colors, fawn (dilute red) and blue (dilute ruddy). Similar to how Dobermans come in two main colors: black and red, and their diluted versions: blue and fawn.

so your cats are grey and tabby (though the term blue vs grey is used for certsin breeds, and also certain parts of the world use one term vs another). In the USA we tend to use “grey” other than specific breeds or things aligned to the high falutin breeding world, (Russian Blues, Chartreax, persians, etc) And European counties seem to use the term blue more commonly , but genetically same/similar just depending on the level of dilute in the genes.

there really are only three colors of cats: black, white, and orange (Or maybe four, I can’t recall where brown fits in if it is a variant or it’s own thing). Everything else is a Mixture of genes that impact shadings and patterns that lead to the wide variety we see out in the world. Example: a grey (or blue) cat is really a black cat with a level of dilution to the color. A calico and a tortie are sa,e color genetics, but different coat patterns. A “torbie” is the same colors, but with tabby stripes mixed in.

thanks for coming to my Ted talk

Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I will add it’s been a long time since I was involved in cat genetics and maybe the science has changed, but that was the basics as of a long time ago