The Hastas are Blooming!!!

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
The first thing I ever got Skurt to eat was my Hasta flowers. Well I got my first one open today and he is decimating it!! Ok actually it’s gone and he’s looking for more lol. He’ll eat the leaves finely chopped but ate the entire flower in three bites. Now he’s onto papaya. So glad flower season is back!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The first thing I ever got Skurt to eat was my Hasta flowers. Well I got my first one open today and he is decimating it!! Ok actually it’s gone and he’s looking for more lol. He’ll eat the leaves finely chopped but ate the entire flower in three bites. Now he’s onto papaya. So glad flower season is back!
Murphy is eating these Rose of Sharon flowers like there filet mignon. I planted 2 small Hasta in his pen last week and they were trampled shortly after. They haven't died yet though, just flattened.

Bambam1989

East Texas
This made me go look at my hostas, the first buds should be opening any day!

daniellenc

Maryland
This made me go look at my hostas, the first buds should be opening any day!
Yeah only one was open but the rest will be exploding any day and there a fav here which is funny cause they’re not fragrant to my nose at least but he goes giddy over them. @Toddrickfl1 you can transplant them so he doesnt completely murder them. They love the flowers and the leaves are high in calcium.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I only have a few hostas, none have any bloom stems yet. A couple I can understand why, These are older plants that became duck snacks a couple weeks ago.Picture 3175.ducks.jpg Tonight they look like thisPicture 3585.ducks.jpg As soon as I catch the snapping turtle they are going over to this pond and these hostas will be fine.Picture 3589.ducks.jpg Peking ducks are like goats they eat everything. I have 2 hosta in pots that do have an aroma the blooms smell like lilly of the valley.The ducks can't have them.

daniellenc

Maryland
@Turtulas-Len i have a few to spare just in case. Planted a decade ago I’ve culled plants just to keep them in my front garden! No pesticides or fertilizer. Heck I neglect them and they survive year after year. Now I’m eyeing my neighbors who I gave plants to years ago. She’s got more blooms and way more water and sun than my spot provides. Asking tomorrow how she feels about me stealing just her flowers lol. Mine grow under the wave from my house so are partially blocked by sun and rain.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
@Turtulas-Len i have a few to spare just in case. Planted a decade ago I’ve culled plants just to keep them in my front garden! No pesticides or fertilizer. Heck I neglect them and they survive year after year. Now I’m eyeing my neighbors who I gave plants to years ago. She’s got more blooms and way more water and sun than my spot provides. Asking tomorrow how she feels about me stealing just her flowers lol. Mine grow under the wave from my house so are partially blocked by sun and rain.
If you don't ask you will never know. most people will share when they know you are feeding it to a tortoise. Any neighbors have Rose of Sharon that you could get day old blooms from, Never had a tortoise that refused to eat them. I say day old because when they close after the initial blooming they are still nice and moist but closed back up and will keep in the fridge for several days if you get more than you need for the daily feedings..

daniellenc

Maryland
I have two huge rose of Sharon. Got blooms but no flowers yet. He’s been munching the new leaves but look how many blooms I got today! Guess what breakfast was lol6F57D8BB-2398-498E-8A1C-407F8A1DDEB4.jpeg